Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets Talk Model 1911\'s

Before we start, let me first say, I am not a collector, and I tend to give collectors heart burn or worse. I'm a shooter. So that said, I will understand that some will skip this post.
As a new member I have been reading past posts and am extremely happy with this forum. But, yup a "But".
I own a Model 1911 in 45 ACP. According to Colts pocket handbook of Serial Numbers mine dates to 1917. Front sight, patent dates, etc. all point to this being true. I got it in the middle 1970's, believe it or not, in Massachusetts. Well, anyway I have seen some posts telling people to hang the older ones up and not shoot them. Now mine had a lot of miles on it when I got and I have put a few on. It has been to the pistol smith twice over the years for a through going over and checking for cracks was on the menu. Yes, it is worn, yes, the finish is gone, but, remember this firearm was designed to live and work in the most hostile of enviroments, with minimum care by prople who were stocking shelves in Woolworths before being issued a Colt 45 ACP. So, if your firearm is in good condition, mecahnically, and you don't shoot loads that will drop a Rino, I don't see any reason not to shoot it. Use common sense. It is, in my case, almost 90 years old, don't push it. I reload a mild load and enjoy shooting the old girl. If you you want to collect, collect. Closet Qweens hold thier value better, but, I prefer to use the firearm for what it is designed for, shooting.
Hope I didn't offend anyone.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Re: Lets Talk Model 1911\'s

I have several old Colt autos. I have a 1911 made in 1918, a model M made in 1912, and a 1903 pocket hammer made in 1912. All are lacking in finish and are well worn. I shoot them with standard pressure loads. I have put new springs in them since weak springs will lead to greater wear and maybe failure. I never shoot more than 50 rounds at a time with these pistols. If you are using mild loads and let gunsmith look at them, you are doing more than I am in the way of safety.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

The spring change is coming up next. Probably some time this coming year. I am usually shooting more than one firearm at a time, so 50 rounds doesn't happen often. I have unfortunately lost my pistolsmith this past spring. He past away. I will be looking around for a new to do the inspections. I have owned it like I said since the mid 70's so the inspections don't come often. I load in the low to mid 800 foot range with a 230 grain rnj bullet. I have tried others and this works the best for target shooting. Thank you for your reply

·
Registered
185 Posts

I too consider myself a "hard core shooter" and average 100 - 300 rds a week while in the middle of season. If you enjoy shooting it......shoot it. I offer up my smith here in Houston as a very very good 1911 smith and is known nationaly. You would need to prob ship him what you want with specific instructions, but he is AWESOME.

IF your ever interested let me know; I understand most folks want someone close.

·
Registered
72 Posts

Nothing wrong with shooting mild or mid-range loads, so long as the pistol is not of great value, or rare.
I also have a M1911 shipped in 1917 that I shoot occasionally.
I strongly recommend using Shok-Buffs to protect the back edge of the recoil spring housing.
JT

·
Registered
185 Posts

[ QUOTE ]

Both are house guns

Colt 1911A1 1943
Colt Government 1951

[/ QUOTE ]

House guns? Like a boat house, a dog house, or tree house?

There once was an old lady
That lived in a gun,
She often squeezed the trigger
Cause it was so fun.....

So she went to the cubbard to get more am-mo
When she dropped the 1911 and shot off her toe,
So even though disdraught and very upset
She bought some 80-series that she'll never regret....

First came the Government Combat
That she uses for tactical shooting,
Next is the Combat Elite
That she is so rooting......

But never had a person
ever had so much fun
as the little old lady
that lived in a gun! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thank you, but, you are right, I will be with someone close. If I have a problem with finding some one, You'll see a post and I will welcome any help. Presently I am in Maine, but, this coming year we will looking to relocate to Florida. So Texas is not out of the question.

Thank You

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I Welcome any information that aids in extending the shooting life of any firearm.

Thank You

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Like I explained in the first Post I am not a collector. You have two fine looking pieces and I presume they are very valuable. As a shooter I would find these two less than desirable, because they are collection pieces. I consider my firearms valuable also, but, we come for two different directions. I believe a tool is designed to be used. So I leave collecting to the collector, I am a shooter.
Thank You

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Excellent piece. But, I think you may have missed the boat. What are the first and fourth Items displayed against the box your firearm came in.
Look I don't mean to belittle collectors at all. They preserve things for the future generations. I think the antique auto owners do it best; they find, they refurbish, they restore, but, until parts are no longer available to maintain the auto, they use them, they bring them to shows and let the rest of us enjoy them. So thank you collectors for the fine work you do in preserving and keep up the good work. I am a shooter.

Thank You

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I would think it is an allen wrench, or equivalent, that might have come with a new firearm or other tool. I presume. If you have the firearm it came with, it should fit something.

Thank You

·
Registered
491 Posts

The allen wrench was for the trigger "travel" set screw. I have the exact Gold Cup, or rather my son has it now, we shot it together . It brings back great memories, better than collecting in the safe. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
991 Posts

No, I did not miss the boat. Whether someone chooses to shoot their pistols or not is just a fact. Some people like to shoot, some like to collect, and others (like myself) do both. The subject is "Let's Talk 1911's", so I thought I'd talk about my new pistol.

This is my first semi-auto. All my other Colts are DA revolvers. The two items on the left and right side of the box are just what they read: A gun safety guide and an application for a subscription to Gunworld magazine. I'm sure they put these in every box that left the factory during the time of this particular production year. I am guessing this might be missing the test target, since the items are laid out so nicely with the box and firearm. (I haven't received this yet. I put it on layaway about one month ago.)

I'm not sure if a test target was included with EVERY pistol that left the Colt factory or not.

·
Registered
345 Posts

I wanted to say something but I just kept contradicting myself while typeing.It's your gun and you can do whatever you want with it.Personally I would put it up and buy a new one and shoot the new one.Maybe someday or even today,,(I haven't looked at the gun so I can't judge),,it might be worth a bit of money.Maybe enough you could invest that money into a custom gun that you'd enjoy shooting more then that old one.

·
Registered
72 Posts

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to communicate in your post coltuserrbl. Is your meaning that you're not a collector and feel firearms should not used as a commodity or other reasons such as kept as a legacy or even as a piece of history?

BTW. I have no safe queens but fully understand and appreciate the reasons why some choose to own them.

Diversity is the spice of life (or) what ever floats your boat baby. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Banned
1,129 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
I believe a tool is designed to be used. So I leave collecting to the collector, I am a shooter.
Thank You

[/ QUOTE ] i would ask a question, should you find a 20$ gold piece would you use it to buy 10 gallons of gas or maybe a go to denny`s and get breakfast?? after all it is money and should be used for it`s intended task right?? shooting THAT gold cup would be exactly the same thing.some guns are for shooting some are not. my .02 worth. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
778 Posts

We have what we believe to be an unfired 38 Super. While I would like to shoot it from a point of curiosity, it does not make much sense because of its obvious collector value.

We also have an Argentine 1911 45 clone that is almost new. Shooting that makes a lot more sense.

We collect mostly wheel guns, and shooting any of the old Colts from my point of view depends on the condition of the individual gun.

I understand the view of the non collector, that wants to shoot an old gun that has been shot a lot in the past. With care, and maintainence it's probably not going to hurt.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts