Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It only took 56 days to get the letter. Recap on this 1911 vintage SAA: I bought it about three years ago. It was originally a 4 3/4" .32-20 said to have a Nevada Pinkerton/railroad connection. It came with two Polaroids of it as a .32 and the 1969 Colt price invoice for an absolutely beautiful rebuild into a .45. Some time later the seller said the widow he bought the gun from found the 1969 Colt box and original parts hidden in her ceiling by her late husband and he sold it to me. The label said the gun was shipped to Captain Robert Revert, Mercury City, NV. The gov't test site city with a civilian police force. Two forum members, one here and one at S&W dug up tons of info on Revert, too much to list here. He was a veteran, Nevada businessman, State Assemblyman, and long time lawman with a reputation of being very effective working alone in a very large area. I wrote his daughter who said she didn't remember this gun but she has his ".38". I also wrote Mark Patton, Clarke County museum curator seen on Pawn Stars all the time and he said the Revert name is still very well known in NV.
The St. Louis store the gun was shipped to has a very long history predating the Gold Rush. Anyone have a Colt sent to "Norvell Shapleigh Hardware" in St. Louis, MO.? The Pinkerton connection will forever be just a word of mouth rumor. Here's everything, and a picture of Captain Revert. I find all this history fascinating, and Revert's daughter was very pleased to see interest in her father. A man who left his mark in Nevada.
EDIT: Colt also sent another page stating they kept no records of the 1969 rebuild of the gun as I specifically asked about that.

image hosting sites

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
When you can find history like the "Revert" Colt, it sure makes you feel good!!!! I love the 1911 SAA revolver and the work Colt did is superb. I am so glad it has a good home and it's history will stay with it forever.

·
Registered
9,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I love it when an "ordinary" (no disrespect meant) pistol comes alive with a bit of history. Great score, Wyatt.

Rio
Captain Revert's daughter said her dad was especially fond of a Beretta (Model unknown), and has no recollection of a magnum he owned and used (according to print interview of him) to shoot at the car of a fleeing cop killer saying, "That magnum really kicked". The Revert brothers were gasoline distributors and he lost a young son who opened the top of a tank and the fumes got to him. I assume the gun in this and the other picture was the .38 his daughter now owns. She didn't mention the make. Here's Revert between his two business owner brothers.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I have a Colt saa from 1966 that was to shipped to Blue Island Gun Shop in Blue Island Illinois on March 7, 1966. It started as a 5 1/2" blue CC 357 mag. Someone and I think it was Colt because of the quality of work converted it to a Buntline Special 45. The factory letter came with the Colt. Nothing special but I think it's kind of neat. Also I do not have the original parts.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Wyatt,

Very cool story and makes the gun even more interesting! I'd call that full provenance.

I supposed you've already confirmed the drawer # 93 is stamped on all the major parts.

I notice the recoil plate was also replaced to go with the 1969 floating firing pin.

Does the gun have a star or & on the right rear trigger guard flat?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I have a Colt saa from 1966 that was to shipped to Blue Island Gun Shop in Blue Island Illinois on March 7, 1966. It started as a 5 1/2" blue CC 357 mag. Someone and I think it was Colt because of the quality of work converted it to a Buntline Special 45. The factory letter came with the Colt. Nothing special but I think it's kind of neat. Also I do not have the original parts.
Another cool gun.

Did you look for an out of sight drawer # stamped on the major parts, and a star or & on the right rear trigger guard flat? That will confirm that Colt did the work.

·
Registered
297 Posts
That Colt Industries Work-Order Invoice is a Gem.. that sorta thing comes few & far in-between! Wish I had some hard evidence like that on the suggestions that were made to me on one of mine by the previous owner!! Connect-the Dots trail points toward a Colt factory conversion (very early) on a 1st Gen I own, yet Colt claims they know nothing of it... instead they letter (mine) saying there were two of the same serial number shipped in single gun shipments years-apart.. disappointing

Anyway. Really neat buy on this-one Wyatt, that's a great Piece

·
Registered
9,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Wyatt,

Very cool story and makes the gun even more interesting! I'd call that full provenance.

I supposed you've already confirmed the drawer # 93 is stamped on all the major parts.

I notice the recoil plate was also replaced to go with the 1969 floating firing pin.

Does the gun have a star or & on the right rear trigger guard flat?
Hondo, I don't see a 93 anywhere and what is a drawer #? Something all rebuilt guns usually have? There are no stamps on either trigger guard bow on the right side. But there are marks on both bows on the left. But I can't make out the left rear one. Since this gun is proved to be rebuilt by Colt, we can use it as a reference of what marks Colt put, didn't put, or sometimes put on rebuilt guns. If a star or an "&" are expected, this shows it's not necessarily there. Maybe that's a & on the left rear trigger guard but it looks more like a tiny letter. I see no other marks under the grip hinting at a factory rebuild.
About the replaced recoil plate. I tried the original hammer and trigger in the gun and they worked perfect, and looked better, of course. But the cone shaped fixed firing pin wouldn't seat far enough due to the newer tapered hole in the plate. But this gun deserves to stay like it is since I have all the paperwork proving that it's all Colt.

good image hosting site

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Another cool gun.

Did you look for an out of sight drawer # stamped on the major parts, and a star or & on the right rear trigger guard flat? That will confirm that Colt did the work.
I have not so now I will have to.:cool: You got me thinking about a draw number or other mark showing Colt did the work. A couple of years ago I sent a 3rd gen colt saa back to colt for some work and they sent me a receipt showing they have my colt and the work to be done and the letter had a draw number on it. When my colt came back it had no stampings on it showing a draw number in fact no re-work stamps of any kind. I know S&W put stamps on their re-works but Colt might not.

·
Registered
9,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, I see that there's a draw or drawer number box on the invoice with "93" in it. Can you guys tell me what that means exactly?

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
It only took 56 days to get the letter. Recap on this 1911 vintage SAA: I bought it about three years ago. It was originally a 4 3/4" .32-20 said to have a Nevada Pinkerton/railroad connection. It came with two Polaroids of it as a .32 and the 1969 Colt price invoice for an absolutely beautiful rebuild into a .45. Some time later the seller said the widow he bought the gun from found the 1969 Colt box and original parts hidden in her ceiling by her late husband and he sold it to me. The label said the gun was shipped to Captain Robert Revert, Mercury City, NV. The gov't test site city with a civilian police force. Two forum members, one here and one at S&W dug up tons of info on Revert, too much to list here. He was a veteran, Nevada businessman, State Assemblyman, and long time lawman with a reputation of being very effective working alone in a very large area. I wrote his daughter who said she didn't remember this gun but she has his ".38". I also wrote Mark Patton, Clarke County museum curator seen on Pawn Stars all the time and he said the Revert name is still very well known in NV.
The St. Louis store the gun was shipped to has a very long history predating the Gold Rush. Anyone have a Colt sent to "Norvell Shapleigh Hardware" in St. Louis, MO.? The Pinkerton connection will forever be just a word of mouth rumor. Here's everything, and a picture of Captain Revert. I find all this history fascinating, and Revert's daughter was very pleased to see interest in her father. A man who left his mark in Nevada.
EDIT: Colt also sent another page stating they kept no records of the 1969 rebuild of the gun as I specifically asked about that.

image hosting sites
Wyatt Burp,
I have just talked to Paul S. at Colt Archives today. Called to check on 2 letters for 2 Hammerless Colts that they just finished up on. One was a Norvell- Shapleigh shipped .32 Hammerless from 1911. How ironic! Interesting thread!

·
Registered
9,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wyatt Burp,
I have just talked to Paul S. at Colt Archives today. Called to check on 2 letters for 2 Hammerless Colts that they just finished up on. One was a Norvell- Shapleigh shipped .32 Hammerless from 1911. How ironic! Interesting thread!
Good going. And thanks for this great photo layout showing most of my images in this old thread all together. I heard that Revert's son still has a tire repair place in their Nevada town. I called Chamber Of Commerce and that was verified. But I then saw a son died but don't know if this one. I got on You Tube and watched a video of a guy driving through that town and I saw the tire repair store! Never contacted him, though.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
OK, I see that there's a draw or drawer number box on the invoice with "93" in it. Can you guys tell me what that means exactly?
Colt’s factory used a "drawer number" when a gun was sent back for rework/repair “if” the gun is also refinished:

The "drawer number", usually 2 digits, could be more, was stamped during some time periods on every major part of a Colt returned to the factory for refinish (it’s not a date) to match them with other parts from the same gun and store them for reassembly. This "drawer #" can be followed or preceded by a B for blue refinish or P for plated. This is not to be confused with the assembly or “bin #” on the loading gate and frame, a similar system used to this day when guns are originally manufactured.

One thing to always keep in mind with Colt SAA protocol is that production procedures and factory protocol spanned so many years, that protocol changed over time. Therefore the star or & were no longer used in 1969.

The invoice for the subject gun of this thread does not include a finish, hence why the drawer # is not stamped on the gun's parts. The parts never left the workbench.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts