Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts

How about this one? Serials to 1906. 38WCF. Numbers match. It had been buffered some. I found some pitting on the barrel ahead of the base pin. What I quistion is the original finish. There is no sign of color case on the frame anywhere - under the trigger guard, inside the cylinder opening or anywhere. Same gray color. I'm wondering if it had originally been nickel plated and had been stripped. Or the frame had been blue?

Super nice brown grips

·
Registered
9,046 Posts
Letter a 1998 piece?

Why?

What famous person/ranch/event could it possibly been involved it that would make it noteworthy?

If you do so, it's not going to enhance the value or the future saleability - that's reserved for the first generation guns, and not even those can qualify - being shipped to hardware stores and jobbers all over the states - it's 'who' got it after the point of sale that folks want, and figuring that out is nigh on to impossible.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Only one of two letters I ever ordered was for a 1902 Bisley, I hoped was from the Copper Queen. But it wasn't, went to St Louis like so many of them. Which is still cool, but kind of a waste of $100.

I surely would not letter a modern Colt that seems to be what it is. Some play the lottery or buy scratch-offs too, but I never have. Maybe the next owner can buy 100 or more letters on the off chance one went to John Wayne or Charles Manson.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
View attachment 703637

How about this one? Serials to 1906. 38WCF. Numbers match. It had been buffered some. I found some pitting on the barrel ahead of the base pin. What I quistion is the original finish. There is no sign of color case on the frame anywhere - under the trigger guard, inside the cylinder opening or anywhere. Same gray color. I'm wondering if it had originally been nickel plated and had been stripped. Or the frame had been blue?

Super nice brown grips
How 'bout starting a different thread, rather than hi jacking this one.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I think it's a waste of money to letter a 3rd gen colt and even a second gen colt for that matter.
As a general rule of thumb I agree but I did have my 2nd gen nickel Buntline lettered. Since nickel 2nf gen guns are hard to find a lot of buyers want proof it's a factory nickel job. I wanted proof that it wasn't an after market, non factory nickel job. The letter puts that to bed. It also greatly increases the value of the gun. I took a change when I bought it, even though it look right. I learned the wood grips were factory also. Colt shipped 5 with wood and 8 with hard rubber that year.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I have over 50 first generation SAA’s and only a hand full of letters. Too expensive now. I am looking at getting letters for some other guns, including my 1905’s.

·
Premium Member
7,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do miss the days when being a CCA member included a 10% discount on Colt letters . The good ol days !
I like to hear the various opinions on the letter / no letter subject and if was your gun,, what would you do ?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts