Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Folsom was sent 30 .41C SAAs in 1887, out of a total production of 50 .41 Colt SAAs that year. Of that 50, 20 were 5 1/2" blue. This was the first production run of .41 Colt SAAs, before this they were special order, only. See pigs 172 and 173 of "The Official Record".
I think you have a terrifically interesting SAA. If I remember correctly from your earlier post, it's in good condition, too.
Congratulations, that letter is definitely worth the money.

Premium Member
Received my letter on the old 1887 BP Colt .41. Shipped to H and D Folsum Arms in New York. Seems those folks were known mostly fo SXS Shotguns along with other sporting goods. View attachment 815863
A very early shipment for a Colt SAA in 41 Colt. I see that there was also a Folsum Arms Company in New Orleans at 9 Decatur Street in 1896.

I often wonder, just what did the Colt Archives see in that shipping record? Was it just "Folsum Arms Co", with no location written?

Reactions: LEO918

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New York, New York? Maybe they were so well known at the time an address wasn't thought to be necessary.
I have another SAA that shipped to Knickerbocker New York, New York.

Premium Member
New York, New York? Maybe they were so well known at the time an address wasn't thought to be necessary.
I have another SAA that shipped to Knickerbocker New York, New York.
There are some problems art Colt Archives, although they won't readily admit to it.

Ex: Copper Queen. With no location noted in shipping record, it is thought to be Bisbee, AZ. But earlier letters said Douglas, AZ.

There were also two Praeger Hdwe Companies. One at San Antonio, and the other at --- well, I can't seem to get Colt to even talk about that. But early Duns, Brads, and State Gazetteers do not lie!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts