Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Information on gun is here.

I guess I miscounted, because it was made in 1882 and not 1883.

The letter confirms the military origin, and that is what I wanted.

I will also add that whan an envelope says "DO NOT BEND" on it, the Post Office must think it means to keep their back straight when they are folding up the letter.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
For that little of information, they should have given you the letter free of charge.
They give no information of what the original configuration of the gun should be. JMNSHO

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Colt explained in "remarks"
I'm aware, I read that too, but they are only guessing. It gives nothing to the provenance of the gun. It would not be enough information for my money.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
In my research the governments only configuration was 7.5 inch barrel and one peice walnut stocks. What is the issue? No governement purchased Colt shows anything more than that except in cases where shipments went to various government arsenals.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm aware, I read that too, but they are only guessing. It gives nothing to the provenance of the gun. It would not be enough information for my money.

The two things I wanted to know was whether it was military (the U.S. on theframe could have been fake), and whether it was returned to the factory forbarrel shortening. Both were answered.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I collect US guns and that is the reason I won't letter them! Close inspection of the US stamping will tell if it's legit.
The only exception is with an artillery model. Colt may have a 2nd shipping destination on them. It's still a crap shoot and usually the 2nd destination is it's retirement delivery to some arsenal in 1903. Rarely somewhere earlier and more exciting. ( Rough Riders, Phillipine insurrection etc.)

Mike is correct that all US guns were delivered with 7 1/2" and one piece walnut stocks. That is a given.

Keep checking e-bay. They are allowing more gun parts and i've seen several Colt SAA barrels for sale.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
... Close inspection of the US stamping will tell if it's legit. ...
What would you have said about this?

ColtSAA83c.jpg

People I spoke with said that due to the re-case hardening, it was hard to tell if the mark was original.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Mushinto

Thanks for sharing a nice old gun with us. Congratulations on it coming back as military.
Frank

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
For that little of information, they should have given you the letter free of charge.
They give no information of what the original configuration of the gun should be. JMNSHO
I would never expect Colt to give me a letter for free once they have dug deep and gave me their best. I gladly pay for peoples efforts even when they come up empty handed, everyone deserves to get paid for their time. Colt gave all the information they had and the owner was just looking for where it shipped to. He seems satisfied, I guess thats what counts.

John

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Sadly, that's true with MOST US military firearms ..... they made them to spec, to fulfill a contract and then shipped them where they were told to ship.

Normally, that's all you get.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts