Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am almost finished translating Karl Hanevik's "Kongsberg Colten".

I began the project when this pistol was first offered to me. I needed information, and I had it on the bookshelf...written in Norwegian! So, I started with Chapter 6, "Pistolproduksjon ved KV under 2. Verdenskrig" (Pistol Production at KV During World War II). That led to Chapter 5, 4, etc.

This darn pistol got me into an awful lot of work!

It's one of only 920 to receive the WaA84 mark before the allies chased the Nazis out of Norway.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
That's a nice example Joe. I have an M/1914 made during the occupation and is dated 1942. I also have Hanevik's book and was able to determine that my gun shipped on February 21[SUP]st[/SUP], 1942 in a group of 150 pistols numbered from 27055-27204 to the AOK Norwegen (Armee OberKommando, the German Army HQ for troops stationed in Northern Norway).

Using an online translation website I am usually able to figure out the text. I have toyed with the idea of buying a hand held text scanner and attempting to scan relevant sections and then pasting the text into the translation field and seeing if large sections can be translated that way. Otherwise, I have to look at the text and manually transcribe a sentence or two at a time, and with typing skills that is a rather tedious process.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Using an online translation website I am usually able to figure out the text. I have toyed with the idea of buying a hand held text scanner and attempting to scan relevant sections and then pasting the text into the translation field and seeing if large sections can be translated that way. Otherwise, I have to look at the text and manually transcribe a sentence or two at a time, and with typing skills that is a rather tedious process.
I feel your pain. This translation has been a laborious process involving 2 and 3 rewrites after verbal translation. Technical information such as names of different parts, had to be sent to friends in Norway for accurate translation.

I have been in touch with Mr. Hanevik. While he's not overly excited with my "mechanical" sounding translation, he is open to exploring publishing opportunities as long as someone else (me) does the bulk of the work.

We shall see.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Why don't you hire an experienced business writing translator? It would only take them a few hours and they'd make any needed cultural language tweaks. It would be accurate and faster than what you're doing. My company places contract technical writers that do these things, and I could get you a quote.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Well, I am almost finished translating Karl Hanevik's "Kongsberg Colten".

I began the project when this pistol was first offered to me. I needed information, and I had it on the bookshelf...written in Norwegian! So, I started with Chapter 6, "Pistolproduksjon ved KV under 2. Verdenskrig" (Pistol Production at KV During World War II). That led to Chapter 5, 4, etc.

This darn pistol got me into an awful lot of work!

It's one of only 920 to receive the WaA84 mark before the allies chased the Nazis out of Norway.
Wow ready to go just a few weeks before VE Day.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why don't you hire an experienced business writing translator? It would only take them a few hours and they'd make any needed cultural language tweaks. It would be accurate and faster than what you're doing. My company places contract technical writers that do these things, and I could get you a quote.
The operative words there are "hire" and get me a "quote".
The publishing process promises to be a rather expensive undertaking. Cost containment measures, beginning in the early stages and following through to distribution, are required to make the project feasible.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I've tried the same translation route, little by little as needed. Not really easy although i think ?maybe? there's some resemblance to German, but that's probably my imagination.
It would certainly be interesting to read more than just the bare bones few words and maybe, occasionally, sentences. Ther's a lot of information in that book.

Years ago I could order a beer in 5 languages, but I'm not sure about even that any more.

My first 1914 was 1 of 140 shipped 3 June 1942 to AOK Norwegen.

Anothere is from 1928 IIRC

rayb

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Melter942,

If you have it in a word document, you could consider "selling" the translation, such that you or the recipient could print the English translation to then accompany the Norwegian "Kongsberg Colten". Don't know about logistics especially getting Karl Hanevik's approval. My 19591 from 1928ish
I bought a copy of the book from a friend, at first not knowing it was in Norwegian - joke's on me yardy, yardy, yardy. 1911 19591 Norwegian 1928.JPG

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Here is my 1942 example with issue holster and scarce 3 pocket mag pouch. Most of the leather gear was dyed black after WWII, maybe when Norway joined NATO ? Anyway, the original color leather items are getting hard to find. As an aside, while the exterior of mine has lots of tooling marks it is well assembled and more accurate than my 1944 USGI Colt M1911A1.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
melter942,
One of your pistol's long lost brothers. A serial number difference of 14
Your pistol shipped the day after my 30117, also in a shipment of 100 pistols. Both shipments went to AOK Norwegen, the main arsenal, but your shipment on 24-April-1945 was posted at KV for further shipment to "Marine Waffenkommando, Oslo."
It was intended to be a Navy gun.
It most likely never made it!

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Melter942,
My 19591 from 1928ish
I bought a copy of the book from a friend, at first not knowing it was in Norwegian - joke's on me yardy, yardy, yardy.
tedm,
Your 19591 was in a shipment of 400 pistols sent to the main arsenal in Oslo on 4-April-1929.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts