Colt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
\"Liberated\" Property US Government Serials

Where did I hear about a list of serial numbers on outstanding "Property US Government" Colts that were liberated without authorization & still on a prosecutable government list?
Bro-In-Law would like to check his 1918, if such a list exists, and would like to have access for future vintage military Colt acquisitions.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: \"Liberated\" Property US Government Serials

Sounded kinda disbelievable to me at the time, saw it on some forum last year, can't recall where.
Hoping somebody here can confirm or dispell.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Musta been an April Fool post, I know I saw it somewhere.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts

good evening , i know of a 1911a1 that was bought back from vietnam and is on the hot sheet as stolen from the USMC .
I almost bought the pistol , so be carefull ,

·
Registered
15 Posts

I've never been to a gunshow without seeing one.

I've never been on Gunbroker without seeing one.

If it's true....there are A LOT of people out there in trouble...

·
Registered
31 Posts

How would they determine which pistols were "liberated" or simply lost during combat or something similar? If the govt. started a "don't have" list of 1911's that were not in their possesion after the war(s) that were in their possesion prior to the war(s), it would probably be as big as the "have list". I'm not positive, but I find it incredibly difficult to believe that such a list exists.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts

good evening , any pistiol without a registered history i run thru a friendly policeman they ran the auto thru there computer , comes up stolen ,, opps

·
Registered
45 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
good evening , any pistiol without a registered history i run thru a friendly policeman they ran the auto thru there computer , comes up stolen ,, opps

[/ QUOTE ]

Stolen from where?

·
Registered
560 Posts

I suppose the people who believe in such a list are the same ones who expect to find a record of what individual soldier carried their WW2 rifle.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

There were various ways a US marked pistol could have been legitimately separated from service, and several ways that were not so legitimate. US property weapons have been stolen here & there for over 200 years.
I don't fall for too many fairytales, but I know I saw a post on it somewhere. I do concede I think prosecution of second or third party possession could be problematical 50 years or more after the fact, but possible in more recent cases such as Vietnam "losses".
My dad also has one that came down through the family, and I've heard two different stories on it, the oldest one was that the original service member/ancestor was killed while on leave with it, and nobody ever asked for it back. That also seems unlikely. But, the second story was that the distant relative traded it to my grandfather as part of a debt a long time ago, and it was then passed down to my Dad.
Whether either that Colt or my bro-in-law's were legally separated from the Army, or "lost", neither ever showed up on NCIC (the main national police computer system).
Wish I could get my brain to recall where I saw that bit about a separate government list.
Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts

Hi rj,

You said: "... any pistiol without a registered history i run thru a friendly policeman they ran the auto thru there computer , comes up stolen".

I note that you are from New York... While I'm not real familiar with New York STATE laws, I am somewhat familiar with how the police computer system work for both for the state of California and the Federal system. I believe that New York requires all handguns to be registered. So, I would think that if you are relying on a "friendly policeman" to get your records check, maybe what he is telling you is that the state of New York considers all unregistered handguns to be "stolen, or "wanted" ... meaning illegal to possess. (First possiblity to explain the status of your gun)

In 31 years of law enforcement I have never heard of such a list of "missing/stolen" guns being kept by the government. Keep in mind that from time to time weapons are stolen/lost by the government here in the Continental US and these guns most likely will be entered into the system by local, state or federal law enforcement. (A second possiblity to account for the stolen status of your gun)

I have done research in the national records and from time to time you find military records of missing/stolen guns. Check out Sprigfield Research Services records and you will note "stolen or missing" reported after a very few of them only. Usually there is some kind of police report associated with them as well.

Back when the government trusted its citizens, thousands upon thousands of surplus military weapons were sold to the public through the Department of Civilian Marksmanship... No special records of these sales were kept either...

But there is no list accessible to any police agency that I know of that has every gun missing from the government on it... For what it's worth... Bob Best

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

In my 26 years of wearing badges, military & civil, prior to retiring I never heard of such a list either. But, the posts I saw were specific to 1911s, and it was supposed to be a federal list.
Guess my hood done been winked.
Thanks again, I'll consider the list another (apparently little known) urban legend.

·
Administrator
7,302 Posts

Urban Legend ? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

1 - 18 of 18 Posts