Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alone think colt will make an aluminum frame version of the new cobra? Light cobra would go well with night and bright cobra.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,664 Posts
I suspect that will depend on whether aluminum can be made by the MIM process and be strong enough.

It seems recent small frame CCW type revolvers are mostly steel guns.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
I agree with dfariswheel. I have no idea if aluminum can be manufactured with that process. I guess metalurgists can tell us, but it remains to be seen if it can be done economicallly enough to be feasible for a relatively small market share.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
The original aluminum Cobras were rated for +P ammunition...Colt has made a big deal about the new Cobra being rated for +P they marked it on the barrel. Making a new Cobra in aluminum...as nice as that might be...would create a nightmare for proper ammunition...no matter how many warnings Colt would give it. I could see this being a case where a Colt would look like a Ruger with all the disclaimers marked on the gun.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Even though the new Cobras are made of stainless and rated for Plus P, I would be curious to see how many Plus P's they could handle before problems developed. Shooting a lot of Plus P's through any small gun, steel or aluminum, is not fun. It has been proven that shooting lots of Plus P's through small aluminum framed revolvers (both S&W and Colt) causes the frame to stretch and eventually crack. Colt has no aluminum frames to replace one on a cracked Cobra. So, when that happens, you have a nice paperweight. I carry Winchester non plus P 110 grain Silvertip hollowpoints in my old Cobra and you can practice with those also. Practice with standard and shoot a cylinder full of Plus P's to see what it is like and then load them up for carry.

·
Premium Member
5,723 Posts
The only reason I don’t have a new cobra is because it’s steel. I believe there would be a market for a lightweight. I carry an agent or cobra lightweight. Yep, practice with wadcutters but packing plus P for duty. I may shoot 2 cylinder loads of plus P a year, at 7-10 yards, the point of impact change is inconsequential.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Maybe Colt could put a Game of Thrones King Cobra in black IonBond...call the the "Night King Cobra"? They could do it in "Whyte" as well for camouflage. :p

Damn, I amuse myself! :cool:

Reactions: ei8ht and KellyCB11

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
A minor problem if Colt introduced a new alloy frame "lightweight Cobra" would be what to call it?
The new steel gun is called Cobra, a name historically associated with the older alloy frame revolver.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts