Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the Convertible trooper out today to clean all the old factory grease off of it and get it ready for shooter duty. BTW, that was a nice tedious task as that stuff was really on there. While cleaning it up I took a nice close look at the barrel markings and it appears I have a Trooper I, not III. I assume it is either a light strike or overzealous buffing at the factory. I know I was the first person to shoot it since it left the factory so any refinish is highly unlikely, especially since it was still covered in factory funk. Sorry for the crappy pics but it's dark here :)

You guys agree or do you see something I do not? TIA

View attachment 43329 View attachment 43330 View attachment 43331

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
It could be the lighting and I may be completely wrong about this, but does it have a dimple smoothed out on the barrel where that "1" stamp is? When you run your finger across the barrel from the MK over the 1, can you fell the barrel go in a little like it was polished hard in this one spot?

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, no dimple but the "T" and star to the left of it is light too. There is the faintest outline of the second "I" and what you may be seeing as a dimple, but there is not even the beginning of a third "I". The star on that side is also very light
It could be the lighting and I may be completely wrong about this, but does it have a dimple smoothed out on the barrel where that "1" stamp is? When you run your finger across the barrel from the MK over the 1, can you fell the barrel go in a little like it was polished hard in this one spot?

·
Premium Member
3,831 Posts
Never seen a "MKI" before. Come to think of it I've never even heard of such a thing. You might want to get a archives letter for this one. Pretty wild...

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I know it is supposed to say III, just like the box I am just trying to figure out if people think it was a light strike or over buffed. I am trying to grab as much information on these things as possible. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Since there is no dimple, that rules out what I was thinking which is good lol. Yes its no doubt a MKIII Trooper. Do the other marks look really good? If I saw the gun, I will admit, it would have scared me if I had to "pony up" a bunch of money on it. Maybe the die could have been broken or severely worn and they didn't catch it soon enough? I'm not going to say anything else and let people whom know much more about the roll marks more than I.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
how are the other markings? lets see the whole gun, both sides. I doubt it's a refinish. what year was the gun made? colt quality was not to good during the late 70's into the 80's.

·
Registered
890 Posts
As has been asked before...what do the other marks look like? That being said I have compared yours to an in hand Trooper MKIII in .22 mag and I here is what I see. The roll stamp starting from the left looks correct. Depth is good with the correct amount of metal displacement. As the stamp progresses to the right it becomes lighter to the point the II and most of the star are not even there. I vote for a bad stamp. The rest of the gun that shows in your pictures does not show any buffing to indicate a refinish. IMHO.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Never seen a "MKI" before. Come to think of it I've never even heard of such a thing. You might want to get a archives letter for this one. Pretty wild...
That's because such an animal doesn't exist my friend :)

Rob, It appears to be a lightly struck marking but the glare is eating me alive so I can't discern between glare/finish/markings

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
how are the other markings? lets see the whole gun, both sides. I doubt it's a refinish. what year was the gun made? colt quality was not to good during the late 70's into the 80's.
Perhaps during the strike years but I've never heard of quality issues in the 70's. As with any company a few lemons slip out but Colt was pretty darn consistent in their QC and manufacturing up until the strike of '86. Here's a blast from the past when the NY Times reported the end of the strike in 1990:

Workers Rejoice at End Of 4-Year Strike at Colt - NYTimes.com

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Perhaps during the strike years but I've never heard of quality issues in the 70's. As with any company a few lemons slip out but Colt was pretty darn consistent in their QC and manufacturing up until the strike of '86. Here's a blast from the past when the NY Times reported the end of the strike in 1990:

Workers Rejoice at End Of 4-Year Strike at Colt - NYTimes.com
I was mostly thinking of the 3rd gen colts I've seen over the years. starting in 1978 and on into the 80's quality was a hit or miss. I would think that would apply to other colt revolvers as well. just my observation. I had a colt python years ago from that time frame and the muzzle was cut on an angle and I had to send it back to colt to be recut and re-crowned. but colt's are still my favorite.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I downloaded the 2nd pic and enlarged it. I can see where there is a very faint surface mark where the 2nd I is and an even fainter mark where the 3rd I is. This was not caused from polishing because the 1st I is in tact and is too close together to the other 2 I's to have 2 of the I's polished out and not the first one. This has to be from a light strike on the roll mark like a malfunction or damage to the roll mark. My opinion is it left the factory this way and was overlooked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts