Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on new RIA Tactical full size. Runs well otherwise, slide locks back, feeds flawlessly with quality ammo. But I'm getting failures to fire with all ammo tried (5 brands/types); some worse than others, but even the best is maybe one out of 20 requires a re-strike.

Ideas? I started with the 18# hammer spring that comes with the Advantage arms kit (I tried the AA kit first but got a lot of light strikes with the AA hammer spring. I moved the AA kit to a RIA GI 1911 model and left the stock hammer spring in and it's been 100%). I put the stock RIA spring back in the tactical and it improved but still not 100%. Should I get a stiffer hammer spring? Should I try a lighter firing pin spring than the standard one in the Colt Conversion Unit?

No binding that I can see or feel.

This upper was 100% when hosted on my Colt Commander frame... maybe it's just brand-loyal? ;)

Hammer appears to be moving freely with no contact or wear against sides of slide and full contact with firing pin.

Next steps? would you put a lighter firing pin spring in? Longer firing pin (are they even available)? Or start with heavier hammer spring?

Other ideas?

I'd like to keep responses helpful/useful if possible, rather than "RIA SUCKS" or "out of spec whatever". It runs perfectly with the RIA .45 upper. I understand it's cheap and that's why I bought it... to host this conversion kit. But if I can't get it running... kinda no point.

Video here if you care to see the malfunctions. shooting starts at 1:22 if you want to skip my boring blather.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Does your receiver have an adjustable trigger?..........If so, check to make sure the hammer 1/2 cock hooks are not bumping over the sear.
If the overtravel on the trigger is adjusted to a Minimum, the above can happen, robbing the hammer of the full strike force.

Tom

·
Premium Member
9,818 Posts
I would SPECULATE that slide is protruding slightly too far to the rear so that the lower hammer body (nearer to the hammer axle) is hitting the area near the bottom of the slide stop a little bit and thus softening the impact of the hammer on the firing pin a bit sometimes or all of the time, resulting in sporadic misfires.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your input. I'll take another look but I didn't see any untoward impact/wear in that area and it looks to me like the hammer is impacting flush on the firing pin. I don't suppose I should radius that angle/remove any metal or it would mess with timing/hammer acceleration on cocking, right?

Is a heavier hammer spring or lighter firing pin/spring a bad idea?

·
Premium Member
9,818 Posts
If the Conversion Unit was "was 100% when hosted on my Colt Commander frame," then it HAS to be the frame that is causing the problem. I still suspect the slide is locating too far back, but, without seeing the gun, I am only speculating.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Yes, The trigger will have a screw in it, if its adjustable.

Do you feel anything rubbing, when you slowly cock and lower the hammer, with the trigger pulled to the rear?

When you changeout the Main (hammer) spring, and reassemble the gun...............Is the hammer fulll under pressure when at rest on the FP stop?

Just to try Judge Colts theory, cut a thin piece of paper, and see if you can securely trap the paper between the hammer and FP stop, when the hammer is at rest.

And, the RIA frame does NOT have the series 80 fire control system, does it?

Also, I have seen some hammers where the pivot pin is re-located to a slightly different position, relative to the hooks and the hammer face........I think it was on a series 80 hammer?.......not sure, but if you have another hammer, I'd compare them, try another if they are different.

After watching the video, this is now puzzling to me.........

Tom

·
Premium Member
9,818 Posts
Just to try Judge Colts theory, cut a thin piece of paper, and see if you can securely trap the paper between the hammer and FP stop, when the hammer is at rest.
With the firing pin protruding through the firing pin stop, that "test" will not have chance of working, unless the firing pin is removed first. Likewise, the hammer rests against the firing pin stop in a properly-aligned slide/hammer combination, and the thickness of the paper might be an issue as well, since tolerances are close in that area. However, IF it can be determined that the paper is being pinched near the axle rather than at the firing pin stop, and that is not due to the thickness of the paper, then THAT would prove my theory.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If all else seems right, remove the slide. Remove the firing pin and spring clean and inspect for foreign object. Clean and polish may help. It has lifetime warranty from RIA ? I do believe the hammer area of the RIA frame is slightly different. There are specs on RIA forum site.

·
Registered
34 Posts
does the ria have a series 80 firing pin safety? if so, then timing may be off.
did some checking and found ria uses series 70.

i would maybe try a titanium firing pin and extra power return spring. lighter pin may help with current hammer spring and no need to change springs when going back to .45

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,818 Posts
If all else seems right, remove the slide. Remove the firing pin and spring clean and inspect for foreign object. Clean and polish may help. It has lifetime warranty from RIA ? I do believe the hammer area of the RIA frame is slightly different. There are specs on RIA forum site.
The problem is NOT with the RIA slide, it is with the Colt slide on the RIA frame. Therefore, RIA will not, and should not, do anything about it. Off subject, but I doubt very much that RIA has different "specs" than any other 1911-pattern pistol. There are tolerances, but there is no reason for RIA to have different "specs."

does the ria have a series 80 firing pin safety? if so, then timing may be off.
did some checking and found ria uses series 70.

i would maybe try a titanium firing pin and extra power return spring. lighter pin may help with current hammer spring and no need to change springs when going back to .45
A firing pin safety does not affect "timing."

I do not believe anyone makes a titanium firing pin for a Colt Conversion Unit, which uses a different firing pin from a centerfire Model O pistol. An "extra power return spring" (firing pin spring? recoil spring?) would be counterproductive for solving this problem.

The issue is that the Colt Conversion Unit does not work properly on the RIA frame, but does work properly when it is on a Colt frame. Therefore, the problem HAS to be with the RIA frame. It is somehow causing the hammer not to strike the firing pin properly.

·
Registered
622 Posts
With the firing pin protruding through the firing pin stop, that "test" will not have chance of working, unless the firing pin is removed first. Likewise, the hammer rests against the firing pin stop in a properly-aligned slide/hammer combination, and the thickness of the paper might be an issue as well, since tolerances are close in that area. However, IF it can be determined that the paper is being pinched near the axle rather than at the firing pin stop, and that is not due to the thickness of the paper, then THAT would prove my theory.
Judge,

I understand your response, but I'm suggesting a thin piece of paper that is fitted between the FP stop and the hammer..........Any forces exerted on the paper by the FP will, or should be, far less than the forces between the hammer and the FP Stop.........

Yes, I suppose you could remove the FP, but I don't see that as necessary............but I suppose it may remove a variable, and allow a wider piece of paper.............He could also use a small paper punch to make clearance around the FP.

Either way,........we're both just trying to be helpful, here........arn't we?

Tom

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry, I missed these responses. I'll try to see if I can devise a test with some thin paper that covers the firing pin stop but not the firing pin. Thanks for all the ideas and help, gentlemen!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.