Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ultra light weight S&W .38 revolver but I very much like Colt revolvers. Can somebody tell me if Colt has ever made a light weight revolver that might still be available? I want something that I can carry in my pocket if I decide to do so.

Is there any model, finish, or caliber that I should avoid? I am sure that if Colt made many of them that there is bound to be a lemon in the group.

I realize it is difficult to come up with an approximate price, but please try to give a ball park figure on what I might expect to pay for such a weapon in good condition.

What models and calibers were made? I would like to have one comparable in size to the small S&W's. What should I check on to see if it is in good condition. Are they sturdy enough to hold up if they have been shot a lot? What kind of finish did they have and what kind of material was used in their construction? Does the finish last on these revolvers or is it like some things that we see where the finish will flake off? Thanks.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,805 Posts
Colt no longer makes any double action revolvers, although they're rumored to be working on SOME type of DA revolver for future release.

Colt's older lightweight revolvers were the Colt Cobra and Agent models.

These were basically the Colt Detective Special made with an aluminum frame.
The Cobra was exactly like the Detective Special.
The Agent was a "deep concealment" version differing only in that it had a very short grip, to make it easier to hide.

Later Cobra and Agent models differed only in the length of the wooden grips used.
These guns are larger than the S&W "snubby" guns since the Colt frame was slightly larger and stronger, and had a six shot cylinder to S&W's five.

The early models as made from 1950 up until 1972 had exposed ejector rods, and "skinny" barrels.
Models made after 1972 had heavy, shrouded barrels, and were factory rated for "up to" 1500 rounds of +P ammunition.

These guns were available at times in calibers like .22LR and .32, but the vast majority were made in .38 Special.
Finishes were usually bright blue or bright nickel, but some were made with flat black or satin electroless nickel finishes.
Colt only made top of the line guns, so the finishes will not "flake off", although like ALL bright nickel guns, the nickel plating on the front of the cylinder can flake slightly from blast damage.

These Colt's were top quality guns, and had a reputation of being the Cadillac of the small snub-nosed revolvers.
These were noted for their fine fit and finish, and had the reputation of being the most accurate of all the small revolvers.

Th Agent and Cobra have been discontinued for years, but since millions were made, they can still be found in excellent to like new condition.
Prices depend entirely on condition, and where it's for sale, but a good starting price would be around $300 and up.

Here's some Cobra,s and Agent's for sale on the online gun auction and sales sites:

A later Cobra:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976729917.htm

An earlier Cobra:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976789503.htm

A later Agent with a flat black finish, and a cut off hammer spur:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976793661.htm

An earlier Agent:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976799819.htm

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DFARISWHEEL: Thanks for the information. It is just what I needed. I have two Detective Specials but as you know, they are a little heavy to carry in a pocket. I think I will look for one of the Cobras. Like most everybody else, I would like to hold one in my hand before actually making a decision to buy one. Wouldn't it be great if Colt does actually return to building D/A revolvers? Thanks again.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I carried an issued nickel Cobra as a police back-up for a number of years. I tried to buy from the city when I retired, but no go. I replaced it last year with an Agent. Great little pocket gun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts