Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The slide should read Colt's Commander Model so I would guess it is a mixmaster. But the price doesn't seem horrible if you want a non collectible Commander to carry.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Yeah, it's two different guns and a lightweight Commander is gonna have a steel slide like this one.

Price is not that far off.
$650 out the door??

·
Registered
774 Posts
If it is all original a Combat Commander is not a LW, as stated above. The only way the gun is worth $699, is if those are real Mother of Pearl. I paid $725 for this 1955 LW Commander in 38 Super

·
Registered
837 Posts
This is my 1951 mfd Commander model. Faux pearl grips, have the original ugly brown grips in the safe. Its a great gun and shooter. I agree with the other guys, for a mixmatch shooter that might be a bit more than I would pay. Maybe $600 otd, but definately not a collector piece

J

·
Registered
99 Posts
The Combat Commander is an all steel gun, frame and slide, it was first introduced around 1970.

The original Commander has an aluminum frame, and steel slide.

·
Registered
837 Posts
The Combat Commander is an all steel gun, frame and slide, it was first introduced around 1970.

The original Commander has an aluminum frame, and steel slide.
Both statements are correct, and the Commander became the so named LTW Commander in the 70's also. I was under the impression they remained on the aluminum frame as the earlier models once officially renamed LTW Commander. Now is it possible that when Colt introduced the Combat Commander on the steel frame, that was the reason for renaming the aluminum frame Commander "LTW"?

J

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I believe everyone gathered that from the post, but the slide markings is what makes everyone believe it is not a true, as from the factory pistol. The slide markings don't jive with the frame.

[I QUOTE=BigRix;496455]For those that can't make out the serial number, it is definately a lightweight frame.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
But the same slide was used on both the Commander & Combat Commander, only the roll markings were different.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Correct, but that is why the thinking is that it is not the slide this frame left the factory with. I am not an expert, and could be wrong, but it appears this is not the correct slide. The LW frames did not come with slides marked CC. Nobody is saying the slide will not work, or the LW slide was different, just that it appears to be a mixmaster
But the same slide was used on both the Commander & Combat Commander, only the roll markings were different.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Correct me if I'm confused but didn't the Commander series in 1970 have a "CLW" prefixed serial number and it was a steel pistol? Certainly not the only serial number designations but I remember a thread about an all steel Commander with that "CLW" prefix. It's early and haven't had enough coffee to clear the cobwebs but that may open the door for this combat commander to be legit? Don't have any reference books near me....just throwing out a "what if".

·
Registered
737 Posts
All kinds of speculation abound over this anomaly. The only thing I can add,that I know for sure is, I have personally seen two NIB full sized Government models that were roll marked as Commanders on the slide. So, anything is possible.When I made my "homemade" CCOs the used slides I got were marked as Combat Commanders but ,I'm not trying to fool anyone and they all shoot fine. Nick

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Correct me if I'm confused but didn't the Commander series in 1970 have a "CLW" prefixed serial number and it was a steel pistol? Certainly not the only serial number designations but I remember a thread about an all steel Commander with that "CLW" prefix. It's early and haven't had enough coffee to clear the cobwebs but that may open the door for this combat commander to be legit? Don't have any reference books near me....just throwing out a "what if".
Never heard of a CLW prefix on a non-alloy frame.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts