Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with the commanders hanging up the last RN bullet. Cartridge ends up jammed at an angle on the feed ramp. This is RN factory white box Winchester ammo. Not much of a 1911 or Colt fan right now ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I shot 23 rounds yesterday, loading 3 at a time. Stopped on the 3rd ftf or jam

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try changing magazine or magazine spring. You could also carefully polish the feed ramp.
These both came with the gun. They don't appear serviceable. What would be a good magazine purchase? Wilson Combat?

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
Genuine Colt or Wilson Combat for magazines. I would also say Shooting Star but Chip McCormick sold them to Wilson Combat. I've never had issues with any of these. I'm sure there are other good brand magazines...just have never tried them. Stay away from unmarked gun show mags...they're cheap for a reason.

Reactions: 1915colt and Higtoo

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New gun or used? How many rounds thru it?
Check extractor tension. If it’s not just right it can prevent the round’s rim from slipping underneath it and feeding properly.
If it has too much tension on it it can create your issue.

https://youtu.be/UOSmJd7HaDY
Few years old, not more than 300-400 rounds through it. Bought it new, was really busy at the time. Put some rounds through it and it ftf. Got frustrated and put the gun down. Picked it up months later etc. Everything here is Colt. Ordered a Wilson Combat magazine today. We will see....

·
Registered
515 Posts
These both came with the gun. They don't appear serviceable.
Seems to me you have answered your own question.

Bill Laughridge at Cylinder and Slide, who knows considerably more about the Colt Govt model than many, told me that in his experience Colt factory magazines are as good as any of the premium magazines.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
These both came with the gun. They don't appear serviceable. What would be a good magazine purchase? Wilson Combat?

In what way to the magazines appear not serviceable?
Are these Colt magazines?
Do the followers have a dimple on top?

Seems to me you have answered your own question.

Bill Laughridge at Cylinder and Slide, who knows considerably more about the Colt Govt model than many, told me that in his experience Colt factory magazines are as good as any of the premium magazines.

I agree. IMO the best magazines, or the most reliable seem to be the genuine USGI magazines. The only difference between the GI magazines and the Colt is the Colt uses the Hybrid feed lips.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
New gun or used? How many rounds thru it?
Check extractor tension. If it’s not just right it can prevent the round’s rim from slipping underneath it and feeding properly.
If it has too much tension on it it can create your issue.

https://youtu.be/UOSmJd7HaDY
I would definitely look at the extractor... I've had the same thing happen with some of my new Colts (I guess they don't tune the extractors at the factory unless you buy one from the Custom Shop). Anyway, after I tweaked the extractor, the problem was solved.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In what way to the magazines appear not serviceable?
Are these Colt magazines?
Do the followers have a dimple on top?

I agree. IMO the best magazines, or the most reliable seem to be the genuine USGI magazines. The only difference between the GI magazines and the Colt is the Colt uses the Hybrid feed lips.
I am not seeing a dimple. When I said not serviceable I meant I don't see a way to break them down to parts.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
I would try two things first...Change ammo and have someone else try shooting the gun..Load magazines to full capacity.
Kid is right. The best way to determine if it is the gun is to let at least one other person shoot the gun. What is the point of loading 3?

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
You can eliminate the extractor as the tension has to be correct for you to always get you to the last round. I would think that a person who has experience with 1911's should be asked to try the pistol. Limp wrist is not usually a last round phenomena but it could be. However, I think the magazine spring is most likely the culprit. Regardless of whether one uses magazines from Colt, Wilson, McCormick or wherever, one should always keep in mind that springs wear out with time. Followers also wear. Springs need to be replaced periodically and magazines that are used for range drills and constantly being bounced off the ground can become damaged. That is usually why most professionals who carry firearms for a living rotate their carrying magazines periodically and never use carry magazines with their practice magazines. Practice magazines should be marked and only used for range drills and practice. I mark mine with a red dot of finger nail polish. I use the same mark at the range on any magazine that has any sort of an unantiscipated problem. Your duty or carry magazines should be kept separate and normally should be numbered so that you know which one you are rotating in to the mix. Even blued magazines can be marked with a black marking pen and let it dry. It isn't necessary to stamp or scratch a number on a magazine but you can if you like. When a duty magazine indicates any kind of a problem then relegate it to practice. The first problem is usually a failure to hold open on the last shot, caused by both magazine spring tension or wear on the follower pad or both. What is occurring here is the described problem is the magazine is releasing the last round early because it is the last round and has insufficient spring tension. When a magazine is loaded the rounds have tension on them from both the lips holding the top round and the round below it pushing up on it. When the round below it is no longer there, the weak spring allows the round to release early and it pops up and fails to feed. It may also pop straight up similar to a stovepipe.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Until another person shoots the gun and has the same issues, it's all a waist of time and effort. If another person shoots the gun with no issues, well, duh.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts