Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I posted this under New Members and they suggest I also post it here. I am getting ready to purchase my first Colt 1911. My question is the choice between the Lightweight Commander O4860XSE and the Combat Commander O4012XSE for conceal carry. I currently conceal carry a Taruas PT1911 (to be replace with one of the above) with a N82 holster, which does a great job of distributing the weight, and shoot 200-350 rounds per month with it. My question: Is the 6.5 oz. weight savings going to hold up to this kind of usage or should I go with the more durable Stainless Steel frame and live with the weight? I should also point out that I am seventy, so overall usage is limited (at most 30 years). Also what is the aluminum alloy used in the lightweight? I am assuming 7000 series. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
21,043 Posts
I am 70 and I prefer the lightweight. I doubt that you will wear it out over the next 30 years. I see the older blued Lightweight Commanders from the 1960's still 'hanging in' after over 40 years of service. As to the alloy, I suspect it is more durable than the one used back in the 1960's. In the 1960's I suspect they used 6064. I am sure the newer alloy that Colt uses will outperform 6064 which has held up pretty well.
On the positive side for the all stainless, they only get shinier with use. You have to like that feature.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
I'm pretty sure the alloy used is 7075, which is used in the aircraft industry.

If you already have the Taurus I'd be inclined to go for the LWT. I feel the LWT Commander is a better option than the steel or ss version.

·
Registered
581 Posts
At your age you should be so lucky as to live long enough to wear out an alloy frame.

My commander was made in 1952; I purchased it used in 1969, and I fully expect it to outlast me.

·
Registered
785 Posts
This is my daily carry. .38 Super.

Reactions: surjimmy

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
My EDC is the LW Commander in .45 (2012 build)
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

I found a Dillon CMDR pancake that holds it high and tight but have a range rig (shown below) and a snap on custom that are equally as comfortable.
Gun Airsoft gun Wood Trigger Revolver

The range rig by Bob Cooper. The belt is thick and sturdy and I use it for EDC.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Many years ago my first gun was a 9mm Commander Lt. weight. I moved on to a steel frame Commander in 45 though never had a problem with the many 1911's I carried. I have seen and heard of the steel frame as well as the aluminum frame cracking but since the new ones have a life time warranty I would go with the aluminum. For CCW I am especially fond of the Gunsite CCO in an Officer aluminum frame with a Commander slide. Their also have Chip McCormick tool steel disconnector and sear instead of the MIM standard parts. For most people the lighter weight means a faster draw though ever so slightly.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Any commander will hold up. Long as you don't use hot loads. I have seen alloy crack after some use with hard ball and hot loads but thence guys were shooting some serious rounds through these guns. If your planning on doing a great deal of shooting with your new choice purchase, I would go with the stainless all the way. Leave the alloy for someone else that is not going to do much shooting. The stainless is always going to be the sure bet in endurance and excessive use. Just my two cents and my years of shooting in the field and compitition at my club. Good luck on what you decide I'm sure you will make the right choice for you. Either way you can't loose with a Colt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts