Colt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a post in the revolver section, so I thought I might as well see if I get a response on this one also. Yesterday, besides the Cobra (revolver section) an elderly man came into my local dealers shop and he traded the following: Cobra, 1917 Revolver, 70 Series lightweight Commander, a blue like new 4" Colt Python, and a blue lightweight Double Eagle Officers Model. I immediately picked up the lightweight Commander ($575). The 1917 is a solid old gun, but it is not much to look at. Dealer is asking $400 for it. The gun I'm inquiring about is the Double Eagle. I purchased this gun new several years ago from a gun shop in Indianapolis, IN. I traded it to an old guy for a P-220 38 super, and when he died the above mentioned fellow picked it up from his estate. Now it has returned to my local dealer. I'm not a big Double Eagle fan, although I realize that most of them work fine. As far as I know it's still new in the box and looks like it. It's the only one like this I have ever seen and I hate to see it slip away if it's as odd as I think it might be. It's the only lightweight and blue DE of any model I have ever seen. Dealer is asking $595 for it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have never seen a blue Double Eagle. While it sounds "rare", it is often a lack of desireability that causes an item to be rare. $595 sounds a bit much for such a gun, especially if you're going to preserve its collector value by not shooting it. I was tempted for a period of over six years by a 10mm DE in a local gun shop. The price stuck in the $675 range, and it sat there forever. When the Wallstreet Journal article about Colt came out last year (last year? Two years ago?), the gun was snapped up in a couple of days. The gun had suddenly become desireable.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts