Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Colt WWI Reproduction, black oxide 0918, just got back from Colt. It had a repair for "Hammer-Follow" and I shot it for first time since back. No sign of Hammer-Follow, but while this was happening before I sent it in live rounds were also jamming in the barrel. I was told this was unconnected with the Hammer-Follow. It was just one out of 50 rounds that had a jam tonight, half in/half out of the barrel like the others before and angled slightly to the left and down a bit. (From shooter's perspective looking towards front of gun). Mag was jammed also, wouldn't budge. As before range crew used some tools to dislodge round and mag unfroze. Me? I don't touch jammed live rounds, sticking tools in there a fraction of an inch from the primer. I'm a sissy but NO WAY.

Even though it was just once out of 50 rounds it still makes me uncomfortable - though I don't want to send it back again to Colt if I can avoid it. But I certainly don't trust it as a Carry gun which it used to be. Especially as it had Hammer-Follow just before (and a month after I got, slide would stay open after shooting about 8 rounds leading you to believe it was empty. It wasn't; still had one live round in it. Glad I checked visually. Colt replaced extractor)

So, why would rounds be getting jammed in the barrel - could it be the magazine? I did switch to a new mag in the recent past, but can't recall if it preceded this problem - or even if it did if it could be a cause of this.

Any ideas would be welcome, I'm very uncomfortable with gun now.

·
Registered
7,544 Posts
You don't mention what type of ammunition you were using. Considering that a WWI pistol and I assume a repro would made for hardball I was wondering if you were shooting the 230 RN FMJ or something else.
Was it factory ammo?

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You don't mention what type of ammunition you were using. Considering that a WWI pistol and I assume a repro would made for hardball I was wondering if you were shooting the 230 RN FMJ or something else.
Was it factory ammo?
These Repros shoot hollow-point well as FMJ - but I was shooting standard FMJ, factory ammo, 3 different manufacturer's when the jamming was occurring regularly before I sent gun in to Colt for correction of hammer-follow - last night when I had one jam it was also factory FMJ.

I'm going to try a different mag.

·
Registered
20 Posts
DPris' post from 1911 forum- (I used cut and paste):

You're talking about "jamming" on the way in, correct? As in feeding failures where the slide will strip a live round out of the magazine and it'll jam halfway into the chamber, the slide won't close?
Just want to make sure exactly what you're saying.
This jamming happens during the cycling of a shot sequence, or does it happen when you chamber the first round out of the magazine in loading the chamber?

It's sometimes hard to discuss these things with you & your terminology.

Try different magazines. That's usually the first & easiest thing to do in diagnosing a feedramp failure. What mag ARE you using?
Try different loads. Does it happen with several? What DOES it happen with? Are you using factory or reloads? Roundnose or semi-wads?
What's your grip? Is any part of your thumb contacting the slide during travel?

Presumably (hopefully) Colt would have checked your pistol for function while they had it. Did you send them that same mag with the pistol, or did they use one of their own?
Did you tell them about the jamming before sending the gun in, and ask them to check & correct while they had it?
Denis

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
I would not be supprised if the problem does not go away on its own. The WWI Repro's have a lot of extra finish on the frame and barrel.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Gvf,
DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT POLISH THE FEEDRAMP YOURSELF!
You don't know enough about it, and it's quite possible & quite easy to ruin the frame by altering the feedramp too much, especially with any power tool.

Try several mags, as also noted on the other site.

Has anybody tinkered with your pistol other than Colt?
Individual guns can develop individual quirks, but hammer follow is rare on a newish pistol unless somebody's "worked" on it. My 01918 runs fine with ball or HP using the magazine that came with it.
The earlier WWI with the carbonia finish I worked with didn't like HPs much.

Jay,
Thanks for transfering. :)
Denis

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
+1 try different mags. I'd also inspect the feed ramp and polish it if there are machining "ridges" on it.
Could you explain more what you mean by "ridges", then I will check - but this never happened in the year I used the gun before 6 weeks ago.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Gvf,
DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT POLISH THE FEEDRAMP YOURSELF!
You don't know enough about it, and it's quite possible & quite easy to ruin the frame by altering the feedramp too much, especially with any power tool.

Try several mags, as also noted on the other site.

Has anybody tinkered with your pistol other than Colt?
Individual guns can develop individual quirks, but hammer follow is rare on a newish pistol unless somebody's "worked" on it. My 01918 runs fine with ball or HP using the magazine that came with it.
The earlier WWI with the carbonia finish I worked with didn't like HPs much.

Jay,
Thanks for transfering. :)
Denis
Denis,

No, no one outside of Colt has touched the gun - as you say I have not the knowledge to even attempt some "mod" of my own and never do on any gun. I know my limitations and know we're talking GUNS here. So, I don't play around. They are shot, cleaned and put away. Nothing else. No gun I have has ever been altered from factory specs and from the way it arrived when first purchased. By the way, the WWI has had about 800-1000 rounds shot since purchasing.

(I learned the lesson of not knowing what you are doing and tinkering from that Colt Silver Star I bought used for $800 and posted about a long time ago - useless after a month because of chamfering of the slide "slots" which receive the barrel lugs - and the secondary chamfering of the barrel lugs. Colt pointed out, and I can see it too, the slide chamfering is in one small area and appears like metal was filed down - maybe by prior owner in some attempt to do a mod. The gun now is a good-looking door stop. (though I will get a nice new slide from Colt when I have the money). Too bad, nice looking gun:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi gvf, polishing the feed ramp is obviously not something you feel comfortable doing yourself. It's done to help with feeding issues. Most often to make hollow point ammo feed better. Basically it's just what it sounds like, the feed ramp is polished to reduce friction by removing the minute factory horizontal ridges, (if present), on the ramp face. I'm sure there have been overzealous polish jobs that altered the ramp contour which caused further issues. That is not the intent. In your case, and after considering input from others here, I don't recommend you yourself do it.

For your particular gun, having 1 in 50 FTF, I would put 3 or 4 more boxes of ammo through it and see if the problem persists. I'm thinking the gun will break in and be fine. I hope so anyway. : )

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Gvf,
If nobody's tinkered with your pistol, and you're now adding extraction failures to feeding failures on the other site, try different mags first.
A secondary guess might be the extractor.

IF it's out of specs, the hook's worn (can happen even on a low-mileage gun), or it doesn't have the right degree of tension (bend), it COULD cause both feeding and extraction problems.
If there's enough play in the extractor to allow it to rotate even slightly in its slide channel (unlikely, but possible), that could cause a problem.

Have you yourself completely broken the pistol down to the frame?
I doubt the hammer follow and feeding/extraction failures are related. Others might be able to construct a possible relationship, but I can't.

Denis

1 - 12 of 12 Posts