Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on loading a .45 with 200 gr round nose with universal powder and a cci 300 primer. I need to keep the oal at 1.575 or less due to the conversion cylinder and the loading data states 1.565 min. length. The only load I can find is 6.5 gr universal @ 749 fps with these components. Believe me I have looked but I can't find a answer to if I load 5.5 and seat the bullet .25 deeper will it be a safe load in a 1860 Pietta with a conversion cylinder? I have read that unique is close to this powder but I would like to use universal due to using it in 9mm and 12,20,28 shotgun and I have 8# kegs of the stuff. I know that someone out there has done this or something similar and can advise. I know a lot of information is out there on the .45 S&W for this use but I have all this .45 Colt brass I would like to use.
Presently shooting a .452 138 gr ball with 25 gr fff and rem cap. But the caps are almost gone and I am told no more tell sometime next year so it is back to cartridge or not shoot it for awhile.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
If it was me, I would only use Black Powder Cartridges in a 'Conversion', even if it is a modern replica Conversion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I decided to go with 6 gr Universal with the 200 gr rn fp the results were the same as the black powder loads 3" circle @ 20 yards. The recoil was light and residue was less than BP a real good load. I set the overall length at 1.560 with a good roll crimp. I am satisfied that this will be a good fun to shoot load.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
After posting, I thought about it some more, and, I changed my mind but had not got back to the Thread to discuss some more.

Yes, on a modern 'Conversion' there's no reason to stay with BP or subs ).

The only loading/re-Loading I have done in .45 Colt, has been with BP, Duplex, or Unique...or '777'.

All of which work very well.

Have not tried Universal.

But, I gather, .45 Colt is one which quite a few various Propellants can work very well with.

Post some images of the Revolver!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Universal lives up to it's name

Universal was chosen because I uses it in 20 GA 15.5 gr, 28 GA 15.5 gr,9 MM 5 Gr and now colt .45 6.5 gr and I buy it 8 pounds at a time. It has turned out to be a good performer in the 45 just a little dirtier than in the 9 MM but the volume of the case and pressure are the main cause of this. If I was to buy a separate powder for this I would try Trail Boss as I have read good things about it. And like you stated the 45 is so versatile you can try many combinations in it. I am only starting any have yet to try BP not that I think it would be better but just to try it. I see gander Mountain has a limited supply of #10 caps so will get a order in today and get back to Cap & Ball again. I will be happy when this cap and primer situation gets back to normal where I don't have to worry if I can continue to shoot. If all else fails we may have to go back to flintlock. Gun Revolver Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Gun Revolver Shooting sport Shooting Air gun I uploaded a photo showing what the gun will do at 20 yards you have to hold at the bottom of the target or you will shoot over the top somethng I will soon correct by raseing the frount sight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts