Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I have been re-loading for ten years and now just decided to re-load for 45lc. i purchased Berrys 200 GR .452 SWC hard cast lead bullets. Here is my problem i think? My Hornady reloading data and i checked others say MAX COL is 1.595 so when i seat the projectile to achieve the max COL it pushes the projectile to what i think is too far. There is no meat left on the lead barely the crimp is at the upper most top of the bullet (see attached pics.) Ieven tested this with 45ACP cases and i am getting the same problem. I never loaded SWC before but i would think there would be some meat of the bullet left outside the case...i loaded 15 rounds but i am real nervouse about shooting these. Is it possible i got a bad batch... i think i will stick to jacketed copper bullets. 45lc1.jpg 45lc2.jpg 45lc3.jpg

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the COL, and would just crimp about half way between the top of the lube grove and the shoulder. As long as it chambers, and allows cylinder rotation, you should be fine.

Best regards,

·
Registered
368 Posts
Well, to start with, that bullet is really not appropriate for .45 "Long" Colt (more correctly just ".45 Colt.") You didn't get a bad batch, you bought the wrong bullet. The 200gr LSWC is really designed for .45 ACP usage. The bullet you're using has no crimp groove for a roll crimp as is used on a revolver cartridge. If you want to use a 200 gr bullet in this chambering - which is really light, in any case - then you would need something like the 200 gr RNFP Berry's offering shown below.

In reality, the only thing governing maximum cartridge length in a revolver is that it allows the cylinder to rotate. COAL is more of an issue in self-feeding firearms, which have a more critical window of acceptable length in order to function properly.

You could roll crimp the case into that SWC bullet, but that's not correct procedure as it deforms the bullet and could conceivably affect pressure in some circumstances.

Attachments

Reactions: 4597 and oldCop

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
If you're going to use those in 45 Colt,you need to figure out how far into the case a correct 200 gr bullet would go.The crimp groove will tell you that.Then use a taper crimp and see how it works out.Dont makes hundreds of them,just a handful to test.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies gentlemen....i will use those for 45acp only i was told these would be fin in 45lc bad info :( I'll purchase the correct one from Berry's.... do you have a link to those 20ogr i only see the 250 gr on their site. Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
If you are reloading for a Colt saa,drop one of those through each chamber of the cylinder.If they fall right through,order .454 bullets.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'll purchase the correct one from Berry's.... do you have a link to those 20ogr i only see the 250 gr on their site. Thanks Guys!
Here's the link to 200 gr on Berry's site:

https://www.berrysmfg.com/item/bh-45acp-452-200gr-rnfp

However... There is another alternative to consider. There's a company called "S and S Casting" that makes great quality cast bullets - I've used them for years. It's a small father and son business, with excellent customer service. They have a 200 gr RNFP cast lead bullet that's polymer coated with Hi-Tek Supercoat at $48.50/500, which is cheaper than Berry's plain lead bullets. (They are coated with a gold color and look like jacketed bullets but they're not, and have been accepted for SASS events.) Just another option.

.45 ACP / .45LC 200 Grain Round Nose Flat Point - Coated - 500ct - snscasting

·
Registered
153 Posts
Per Ramshot:
"SPECIAL NOTE ON CARTRIDGE OVERALL LENGTH “COL”
It is important to note that the SAAMI “COL” values are for the firearms and ammunition manufacturers industry and must be seen as a guideline only.
The individual reloader is free to adjust this dimension to suit their particular firearm-component-weapon combination.
This parameter is determined by various dimensions such as
1) magazine length (space) [or, in your case, length of the cylinder\
2) freebore-lead dimensions of the barrel,
3) ogive or profile of the projectile and
4) position of cannelure or crimp groove.
• Always begin loading at the minimum "Start Load" [I interpret this as check several sources and start with the lowest start load\.
• Increase in 2% increments towards the Maximum Load [or, for pistols, 0.2-0.3gn increments\.
• Watch for signs of excessive pressure.
• Never exceed the Maximum Load."

For a revolver, COL is determined by the length of the cylinder (you don't want the bullet sticking out of the throat) and location of the crimp groove (in your case, there probably isn't one).
So, you can keep the loads light, use a normal taper crimp, and see if the bullet try to "walk out" of the case. If you need a roll crimp, crimp over the shoulder (your COL may need to be slightly shorter so you have some case to roll crimp). Next, are the bullets a snug slip-fit in the cylinder's throats and is the bullet at least 0.001" larger than the actual barrel groove diameter? If so, you are probably good to go.
No reason to worry about the COL you have, IF you start with the start load and work up. Since the load should be light (no more than std. .45 Colt pressure), I don't see a problem.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Further note:
>I have been re-loading for ten years and now just decided to re-load for 45lc. i purchased Berrys 200 GR .452 SWC hard cast lead bullets. Here is my problem i think? My Hornady reloading data and i checked others say MAX COL is 1.595

Per SAAMI, MAX COL is 1.600" and min is 1.550". For the reloader, this makes no real difference, as SAAMI specs are to fit ALL guns ever chambered, not YOUR gun. You can load COL out until the bullet's meplat is flush with the cylinder—or, if loading for a single-shot or lever gun, until the bullet's ogive contacts the rifling lede.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hogwash! Those Berry SWC bullets are fine for 45Colt. You just seated them too far in. Seat them 1/8” to 1/4” out with a taper crimp if you have that die, or you can use a mild roll crimp.
I use LEE’s 200 grain 90285 .429-200 RF bullet in 44Special & 44mag regularly.

Reactions: colt03
1 - 13 of 13 Posts