Colt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This won't win any NIB contests but I still had to buy it. A owner of a local pawn shop will hold guns that come out of dead pawn a few days on ones he thinks I might want. He knows I have trouble passing on a Colt. Stopped in this morning & he went in the back & came back at handed me this Detective Special. He said it came out of dead pawn this morning & he hadn't had a chance to clean it yet.

The serial number 576XXX puts it at 1951 according to Proofhouse. The Coltwood plastic grips are both broken with the right side missing a good chunk. The hammer was bobbed at some point. The owner of the shop wanted $300 for it so I bought it.

Hope to replace the grips at some point. So how did I do? I have another DS from the early 70's but it has the shrouded ejector & I have wanted one of the older style.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong at $300. Shoot the heck out of it. Nothing wrong with a gun that has some "character." Enjoy your Colt.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Locks up tight as a drum and everything seems to work just fine. I took it apart this afternoon & cleaned it all up. Will try to go shoot it during the week.

When I look for new grips, what are the this type called? I see what are called long and also short?

·
Registered
813 Posts
When I look for new grips, what are the this type called? I see what are called long and also short?
The plastic grips are called "Coltwood". Colt used this style of grip from 1947 to 1954 or so. Like most Colt grips, no one makes a quality reproduction so the only sources are the auction sites (ebay and gunbroker). Expect to spend at least $100 for a good set of original Coltwood grips. Since there are a lot of cheap reproductions (most of which are prone to shrinking) I would suggest spending some time looking at the Detective Special photo thread until you are familiar with what the originals look like. I posted a pic below.

If you are shooting the gun, I would recommend fitting something beside the Coltwoods since they have become so expensive and hard to find. I personally like the Jay Scott grips (an aftermarket supplier which was owned by Colt) from the 1960s- 1970s. As noted, Your gun would use the long, round butt style.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Hello
Don't mean to question you, but he needs the second style that is more brown and has the thinner reenforcement ribs instead of these early style that is more reddish swirl. The second style will hav ethe blind nut on the right side grip. These second style grips are more prone to warpage and shrinkage than the early ones.

Can't vouch for the seller or grips, but these are the ones you need.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=351895493

Ron

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice on the grips. The set on it are dark brown & do have the blind nut on the right side. Thanks for the GB link.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Good score. That's exact type of stuff I look for. You can compare it here with my 1951 Cobra that is also mechanically perfect but carried a LOT. Mine was also $300 a couple years ago but just sat in the store for some reason so I offered a lower price and bought it. I've said many times here that I can't replace those boring cheap grips because an off duty cop probably wore the checkering off along with the finish over many years packin' it. But I'd replace yours. You have a good buddy at that pawn shop.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Wyatt, nice looking Cobra. Mine appears to have been carried a lot, wish the hammer hadn't been bobbed but it is what it is.

The guys in the store do take care of me but in turn they get a lot of my money. Usually I can tell if they have something to show me when I walk in the front doors & head towards the counter. I will notice one of them notices me walking in & immediately turns & goes in the back. I instantly start thinking what have they got & can I afford it. I am sure I am not the only one they do this for, they are a good group of guys.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Here are some pictures of the mint origina(Unfired)1951 Colt Detective Special that I'd fortunately discovered about 3 years ago-which had come from the estate of a deceased Colt collector:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts