Colt Forum banner

Located another unusual variation

967 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  dfariswheel 
#1 ·
I've located another uncataloged revolver. It's a Officer's Model Special in .38 special (4th issue). The unusual variation is that it is a Single Action. The 5th issue did generate about 500 single actions but nothing in the 4th generation era. DOB on this gun is 1950.

Is this gun fake or for real? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I love those Officers Models'. I've seen so many unusual variations in this model. More than any other model..

See less See more
#2 ·
Addicted, I have an Officers Model, built in 1938, that some have told me is not original Colt because it is single action. I aquired it from the original owner who told me it was custom built as single action by Colt.
I have read of later models being built as sigle action, but have seen nothing that mentioned my 1938 as anything but double action.
I considered asking Colt about this one, but they want a huge amout of money to answer my question.
After spending many years in the gun business and pushing Colt products I felt that it was not appropriate to pay an unreasonable amount to get information on one firearm.

#3 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I considered asking Colt about this one, but they want a huge amout of money to answer my question.
After spending many years in the gun business and pushing Colt products I felt that it was not appropriate to pay an unreasonable amount to get information on one firearm.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll never know if it's authentic or a fake unless you get a letter from Colt. It will become a BIG issue if you ever decide to sell it. You'll have to price it as a fake or letter it from Colt and price it accordingly. For now, it's just an oddity. The letter can't cost more than $200. You'll more than pay for the letter if you ever decide to sell it. Otherwise, start the bidding at $200 and let the marketplace determine what it's worth.

It wouldn't be so concerning if it was a 5th issue.

I will tread cautiously on this 4th issue OMS as well because it has not lettered.

Just my .02

#4 ·
A letter from Colt would tell, but converting target model Colt's to single action was popular, and it was an easy thing to do.

A lot of this was the same "monkey see--monkey do" thing we see all the time.
A shooter hears that top shooter "X" has a single action Officer's Model, and he just HAS to have one too, so off comes the side plate.

Basically, all that was needed was to remove the double action strut from the hammer.

I've often said that if Rob Leatham or Jerry Barnart mentioned that they smeared goose grease on their front sights, there wouldn't be a goose left alive in North America by night fall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.