Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this one at auction a while back. I've been meaning to photograph it for a while but been so busy with work.

This is number 92 in the London series. It's a 5-shot.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

The initials [TCG] on the grip don't mean anything to me at present.

The armed hand holding a portcullis is probably the owner's coat of arms but I don't know who. The portcullis device is often associated with City of Westminster but I doubt it's that.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Nice gun, any evidence of a re-finish, or added finish later on? There's a lot of silver-plating on the trigger guard and backstrap.

The nicely engraved arm and portcullis are frequent features of British heraldry. Because they are so commonly used, I think it would be virtually impossible to tie them to any particular individual.

If you wanted a research project, you could use the initials to try and identify a British officer of the time, from UK online resources. The "T" in "TCG" almost certainly is "Thomas" and the "C" is possibly "Charles" so you can start there. Who knows, you might get a hit. Also, well done on converting the "Olde English" characters into modern ones. Most folks have no clue how to go about doing that, and I think you got the "TCG" right... (folks can see the picture below for an easy to use conversion chart).

It's known that a lot of Colt's pistols were used by the Brits during the Crimean War and the Indian Mutiny, so they are all quite historic...

YeOldeEnglish.jpg

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The catalogue described it as as a 'older refinish' - so old that much of the blue is gone. But I liked it, and it was a example of an early London.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Something puzzles me : as the trigger guard and backstrap are silvered, they are likely made of brass. I thought all London Colts had these parts made of steel ?

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is a First Model London Pocket, about 300 made from parts fabricated in Hartford, and sent to London then finished there. The backstrap and trigger guard were made of brass, silver-plated. The Second Model, from about 300 to 1,000, were made in a mix of some brass and others iron. And on, and on, with variations, to the Sixth Model, which was about serial number 11,000.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts