Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking at a rather strange gun. Lol. Need some help establishing value . It's a Colt El Presidente 38 super . Condition is 99% ( no box) with pearl Colt grips. Here is where it's getting interesting. The gun was extensively customised . Wilson ramped match barrel and bushing, checkered front of the grip, match trigger , hammer and sear , hi beavetail grip safety . Pistol and work done to it looks
outstanding BUT it's no longer a true El Presidente since it's been heavily customized. How would one put a value on a such a gun ? I never seen a rare pistol that was beautifully customized like that

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
If the front strap was not altered, and all of the original parts + box came with it - mayyyyybe, but still quite a stretch. It can never be returned to OEM, so it had its value to the original owner. A target quality gun with fake pearls is not my cup of tea. It seems like another case of $$$ poured in according to personal taste never bringing a return on investment.

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
709 Posts
First of all, a gun is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. That being said, MY rule of thumb for me personally is this; If a gun has been altered and I don't care for the alterations, I figure the cost of returning it to "stock" condition and subtract that from the asking price. A good example is I was trying to buy a nice 29-2 6.5". The gun had been magna ported. I found a new old stock barrel, and then the cost of the labor to switch barrels. I added up those costs and offered the asking price minus the costs. Again, it is just me, but any customizing on a gun is usually very personal and not many agree on what is done. Oh, yeah, the guy didn't take the offer.....

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
What someone pays for something doesn't necessarily mean that is what it is worth. The OP ask for help in establishing a value on an altered Colt, and paying too much doesn't establish it's value.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If there is a picture. I missed it.

The "El" pistols are not to my tastes but they do bring multi thousand dollar prices when I see them here in the for sale section. Have you compared yours to those?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts