Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am new to the Pythons and now in the market for one. Want a shooter but don't want one beat all to hell or someone's Frankengun either!!!! I have a couple .I am looking at and prices vary!

Looking at this 1978. What is your first impressions? The Gentleman said that there are no scratches but a little holster wear on the muzzle. I would need to find stock grips..... Value??? One pic inside and the other outside!

Thanks

What year is the Python with cylinder open?

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine is also a 1978 and looks almost exactly like that except it comes with the Pachmayr grips. Also a bit of muzzle wear. The value is what you're willing to pay for it. Do you want something pristine with no wear? Then plan to pay a lil more. $1600 seems like a fair price.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Internet-wise, the better condition Pythons are selling for $2000 plus, and Pythons in "like new" condition, complete with box, lterature, and hang tag, etc, are selling north of $2500.
Unfired, complete packages will be north of $3000....of course, nickle finish guns, snub-nosed guns, special target guns, and the like may well be priced at a premium.
Local pricing and gun show pricing is generally better than internet.
Hope this helps! :cool:

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I bought a stainless Python awhile ago. It had the same houge,monogrips as that one and it had the silver medallion like that one. I must say that those particular houge grips are probably the best there are for shooting. And they actually look pretty good on the python. I have original grips/stocks for mine also but I like the monogrips for shooting so i havent taken them off. I keep the originals so the gun can be all original. You may find that you will keep the houges on it as well.
The python looks pretty good from the pics. Probably hard to get him down much fro 1600$ I would probably try and see if he would go for $1400
Makesure you check timing and barrel cylinder gap and endshake and check trigger pull in sa and da and check rifling.
Of course you wont know how good it shoots till you buy it so that's the risk you have to take. it might be a tackdriver and it might be just so so or worst case it doesnt shoot worth a damn. I only had 1 that did not shoot good enough .On that one, someone must have filled down the forcing cone The B/C gap was much too wide and out of spec. fire shot out btwn the forcing cone and cylinder Unbelievably,it still shot fair but not as good as it should have and I didnt like that the sandbag rests got burned up from shooting it -that was before i knew what to look for.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I think $1400 or less would be an ok deal. Find the flaws and use as leverage to negotiate the price down to that range.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
You will pay at least $200 for a decent pair of correct Gen III grips and with the correct grips value is appx $1600 to $1700 MAX.
I would offer no more than $1400.00 as $1600 seems a little high (and i agree i think front sight and grips have been changed)
Right now you can find a several nice shooter grade pythons on gunbroker in the $1200 to $1400 range, shooters seem to be dropping a bit as the collector quality ones keep going north.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I would deduct the amount of the grip from the value and go from there. Grips range from 175-300. I would take out at least 200 from the gun value. Place a value on the gun from condition. No box or papers another $200. I wouldn't go more than 1400.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
There are a lot of opinions so here is mine tactical.. 1600 if the gun is near perfect lightly fired and respectfully maintained is a good price even with aftermarket grips. It is about the condition. If you want one that is original and complete box or no box go for that one pay more and get a better gun. You will find 70 and 80 vintage all day long. The ones that will hold value are the nice ones that have been taken care of over time by others. Nothing like a well maintained beautiful blue Python that hasn't been dorked or opened with clean screws. You get what you pay for with Pythons and buy smart not cheap. And if you want to save a few dollars buy one without a box. No headache.. Besides chances are you will keep the one you buy for a lifetime don't blow it by nickel and diming... Good luck...

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Dwalt is right the 3 5 7 is the same mechanics and is considered to be a revolver of equal quality to the early 1950 Pythons and they are handmade guns but Dwalt they are getting expensive.. Yes, Tach can pick one up for maybe 1k in nice shape but he wants a Python.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.