Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and have always been partial to S&W revolvers. However, the Python has really caught my eye. I don't mind paying a little more for a superior gun. What are your thoughts in recommending this fine revolver over a Smith 357. I currently own two Smith revolvers and the only Colts I've owned have been autos.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ruger has made some of the best revolvers for years...GP100 is very well made and doesn't do to bad on paper...Python...well I hate to knock colts in a colt forum but...I haven't been impressed lately by Colt revolvers...I mean when I have owned 3 Rossi revolvers that have out preformed the Colts it's very Discourageing...one of those Rossi pistol was a snubby...It's hard to go wrong with a Smith or Ruger!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
One sure way is to hold a Python and work the action. It will sell itself if you like it. The trigger will be different from your S&W and that may take some getting used to, but overall most people have nothing bad to say about the Python other than the price (or the legendary myth of it being weak). Now someone who prefers a Rossi...well there is one of them in every crowd.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I agree. The Ruger GP100 is built like a tank. I don't think you could ever destroy one. It felt like I was shooting a tank though. Very mechanical.
THAT'S WHY I SOLD MINE.
I shoot noticably better with my Colt's and my Smith's.
Good luck on that Python quest. Other than the price, you should enjoy it very much.
I have at least 1.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice gun!
My father has a Ruger GP-100. I do agree they are solid and accurate. I was looking for something a little different and I have heard many good things about Colt revolvers, especially the Python.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If your intention is target shooting, especially single action, then a Python is a good choice. The Python's weakness is its action. Namely, the action does not hold up as well to rapid double action shooting and a constant diet of magnum ammo can beat it out of time. If a Python or any Colt revolver needs service, it is best to send them back to Colt. It is hard to find a local gunsmith who really understands the Colt revolver and how to properly tune them.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Please let me put it to you this way... I have been riding Motorcycles for 30 years. My first 2 bikes were not Harley's. However, I wanted a Harley from day 1, I have since aquired many in the past 28 years and would never ride anything else. Sure they cost more, and may have issues yet they retain their dollar value and many other values of which I will not go into...

That is how I relate Colt... Of which the Python is, and will remain, the Best of the Best...

Respectively submitter

·
Registered
36 Posts
Different strokes for different folks...and alot of die hard Colt fans I see...Rossi isn't a bad made pistol...now I do admit they used to be...but if you can remember this far back...People used to knock Ruger like they still do Rossi and look what happened...bottom line is this...you don't always get what you pay for...and Value isn't everything...if it cost $1000 and shoots like $200...it's not worth the money!

·
Registered
36 Posts
lol I beleive I hit a nerve with the Rossi out performing Colt remark...that's just what happened one day at the range...I bought theat Python for $1200 new...hand loaded several different rounds for it and found what it liked the best...Hey...it surprised me...but then again I have bad luck with Remington and Berretta shotguns...Don't some people think there the best too...best thing to do is find a friend or a range that has a Python and shoot it...but If I was you...I'd look for an older Python...not a new one

Colt has been takeing short cuts lately...even in the 1911's...but in a revolver it shows worse...

And don't get me started on Harley...that's another forum...on my profile it says "Welder" as in Custom Bikes...frame up 1 off custom...and if you think that bike is American made...you need to look at some of those parts just a little bit closer!

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Yo Yoda,
I'm not sure why you would strike a nerve.
Hmmmm, maybe because the forum is called the COLT FORUM and not ROSSI.com.
If ya don't like Colt's guns and their (not there)quality, maybe you should be reading & writing somewhere else.
Just a thought.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
36 Posts
yeah I believe I hit a nerve...but only by speaking the cold hard truth...I guess you expect me to lie to people wanting to spend hard earned money on a reliable pistol that shoots every time accurately...now I'm not saying all Pythons are bad....I'm just saying that the new ones are NOT worth the money...it is common knowledge that when colt changed managment that Quality took a back seat...now if you can't accept that and can't tell the man the truth...and that being said...there are plenty of very well made revolvers on the market....sure Colt is on the list...but nowhere near the top...and as for me going somewhere else...Don't think so...if you can't handle the truth that a $250 ROSSI 4" 357 shooting factory Remington UMC store bought Wal-mart ammo and grouped an inche and half better than a $1200 Colt Python shooting handloads loaded just for that pistol and none other grouping the best it will ever group.....Then maybe you need to go somewhere else...I'm trying to as honest as I can and possiby save someone ALOT of money and time and disappointment...now Maybe I lucked up and have bought 3 Rossi pistols that were just good shooters...but 30yrs...3 Rossi pistols ...3 flawless pistols....I don't think so...just maybe....just maybe now...Rossi actually makes a good pistol...and just maybe it our performed the Colt...so what...This Colt is the best EVER crap is getting old...Jeeze just tell the truth...sence the change of management Colt quality has gone done hill fast...Now if he hunts and finds an Older Python...he's got something....cause those were very well made...I've got them to group 1" groups on paper...and the action can be made very very smooth...Now Don't blame me for Colt's flaws or exposeing them...it's not my fault...I'd rather have a Colt to be honest...but I'm going to have it if it won't do as good or better than a $250 pistol...like I said before even the 1911's have went down hill...Old 1911's are awesome...but the new ones...No...just not made as well or as accurate...Just the COLD HARD TRUTH!!!!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Controversy often makes for an interesting thread.

vdm puts it simple and to the point, and I agree with him. I though his comment was the end all of the thread.

I can’t say what the cold hard truth is. If one person says something, does that make it cold hard truth? If 10 people say the same thing, does that make it cold hard truth? If 1 million moms on a march say something, does that make it cold hard truth?

The point being that people will sometimes repeat only what they have heard someone else say. Others will say things based on experience. This is where Yoda is coming from; his own personal experience. And his experience was real for him.

However, his experience does not necessarily translate to a cold hard truth. As for Rossi’s I can’t speak to them I don’t own one. Probably for the same reasons vdm doesn’t own a Vespa.

I don't really think a nerve was hit by anyone. Just a solid difference of opinion. If you want to see nerves being hit just go to the S&W forum and read the political threads in their lounge!

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Man, your shorts are a little toooo tight.

Pay attention here...
The man that started the thread asked about the COLT PYTHON. This thread on the COLT FORUM was not asking what kind of gun you like or what color your hair was.
It was a simple question about the PYTHON.
I own a Rossi as well as many other brands.
I'm not saying that other guns are not decent or even wonderful. Are you still paying attention ?
If the thread was, what do you think about the new Corvette and I posted Hershey makes a better chocolate bar, what the HeII does that have to do with the question.
My comment about going away just means that if you don't like Colt or their products, why are you even here ?
Go to the Rossi forum if there is one and talk about how bad Colts products are. They'll all probably love you over there.
Then again, you may be the only one posting.
Good luck out there. You'll need it.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Right..he asked what are the thoughts...and I gave my thoughts...now if you don't like my thoughts you can kiss my A$$...but I'm going to tell it like it is....now are you still paying attention....cause I'm not going anywhere...I'm going to keep posting here untill I...Me...as in NOT you...deside I don't want to anymore...now if you Don't like that....refer to what I said above...and..for the record...I'm not knocking ALL Colts....just the New ones sence the change of management...Now if you can't tell the difference between new and Old...well I got some old stuff I'll sell you for a New price...cause I believe your just stupid enough to buy it...!

·
Registered
36 Posts
lol this is starting to get funny....now we're compairing Yugo and BMW...speak of "made in Brazil" Spring field armory...oldest gun manufacture in the US...look at the bottom of the Pistol...."Made in Brazil"...you know it's like this...I don't care what you spend your money on...not my business..your right!

I'll say this again... maybe I can even put it in a way you can understand me this time...OLD COLTS GOOD...NEW COLTS NOT SO GOOD...Now preach Colt all you want...Oh...think I'll hit another nerve while I'm at it...sence some of you want to Blow things up...My Kimber out shoots my Colt....now sence I said that are you going to come back with "It's like compareing Rolex and Timex" ...How about this...I gave an honest to the point answer...take it for what it's worth...it's my opinion and I'm intitled to mine...

Oh and How did I get off topic???

What are your thoughts in recommending this fine revolver over a Smith 357.

that is what He asked...and I answered HONESTLY!!!!!

Now I'm going on to the next Topic...why don't you Children join me in handing out some GOOD ADVICE to some of these people that have questions...instead of crying about Yugo vs BMW and other crap!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Jeff, I think what we are dealing with is a "lurker/poser/troll" here probably from the "liberal left" trying to rile things up here so they can talk about the "gun culture nuts" on these forums. We've seen "plants" like him before and usually if you listen to them long enough, you find out they really don't know much about guns at all.
He completely missed the point.
The original thread asked for an opinion about a Python vs. a Smith 357, emphasis on "Smith", and nowhere does he ask for an opinion about any other make of gun or our thoughts and he first took off on the Rugers and when that didn't get a bite, he switched to the Rossi's.
He probably has no knowledge that originally Rossi couldn't build a gun that worked, or could sell, so they sold out in part to Taurus to teach them how. Taurus originally didn't know how to build a gun either, but since they had bought all that out dated revolver machinery from S&W, they kept using it and finally figured out a way to make a decent gun and then passed it on "second hand" to Rossi. So you see this "third hand" knowledge and quality is what he thinks makes a Rossi such a superior gun to of all things a Colt.
Quality was once described as like buying oats. If you want A-number one quality oats, the price is $3.49 a bushel, now if you don't mind the fact that it has been run through the horse one time then the price is only $.50 a bushel.
Just ignore him and he will get "bored" here (because all we talk about here is COLTS) and he will go away.

P.S. Now we are going to hear how wonderful his Kimber is over a Colt, makes you wonder why he wastes his time here.

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 10-03-2004).]

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Oh and let's see, Yugo's vs. BMW's, who was it that first brought up Harleys and "Welder" and "custom bikes" on the COLT FORUM!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Just a tiny bit of info for those who may not know:
The Springfield Armory company of today bought that name to sell their repro M14 rifles on the civilian market in 1974. They just wanted to capitalize on name recognition for advertising. The original Springfield Amory that was the US military armory closed it doors in 1968.

BTW...you shot the Rossi with factory loads and the Python with tailored handloads. Who is rating your handloading capabilities? Why not shoot factory loads in both revolvers? Were the loads shot from a rest to take out the human element?
And for cold hard facts, you say you have had 3 Rossis, but only one Colt for comparasion. One specimen will never tell the whole story. Rossi, Rugers, and Taurus (if you decide to throw them in the mix also)have an action similar to the S&W and most shooters who primarily shoot the S&W style action have difficulties with the Colt action and complain of the trigger. They just don't shoot a Colt as accurately as they do with a S&W or similar action.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This reminds me of Highschool....or should I say middleschool...Let's see if I can answer some of this Bull$hit...cause that's what it is...

No not a "planted Liberal" matter of fact I hated the ban of Assault rifles as much or more than everyone it effected

No I didn't start the Yugo vs Bmw Harley vs everything else crap...just said I build bikes FOR A LIVEING!!!! and I would think by now that I know where the parts on a Harley are made

Never said Rossi was better made...just said it's better made than you think and more accurate than the Python that I bought new...for the record it was my 7th Python and as for the other 6..well that goes back to my new vs old statement...the 6 older Pythons grouped VERY VERY nice...

No i'm not here to strike a nerve...I grew up shooting everything you can imagine...if I haven't owned it my Dad or one of his friends has...I offer my opinions based on first hand knowledge from range testing with several different types of ammo and my handloads

Yes I will stand behind my handloads cause of how carefull I am to make sure every round is right

Yes...I tried several different types in the Python...it liked my handloads the best!

As far as my Kimber...that was a joke...if I even compaired it to my Colts it wouldn't be fair...the Kimber has been worked and reworked...matter of fact the only factory parts still there is the frame,slide and sear...everything else is a Combo of custom parts

Now...I think you guys need to read your own posts again before tag teaming me trying to run me off...I didn't start this Bash Yoda crap...I gave an Honest answer to a question and have done nothing but catch crap from everyone...the only remark I would take back is "THE COLD HARD TRUTH"...I should have said "Common knowledge" because Colt did change management...quality did go down hill...Prices went up...and it's just not worth it...but as for the older Colts made before the management change...awesome is all I can say...oh and don't defend Springfield for a dision like that...all they are after is cheap labor...think I've figured out why not many people post here...With childish poster that bash anyone who doesn't agree that Colt is the Best...well hate to break it to you...Colt is not the best for everyone...can't say I wasn't warned about you guys though...got a few others that told me about you guys on another Colt forum...they got bashed for the very same thing I did...telling the truth that the new Colts are NOT...I repeat are NOT worth the money and the Older Colts are made MUCH Better!!!

Believe I'll make a post over there tomorrow just like the one I seen 2 months ago about not going in this forum to post...matter of fact believe I will leave this Post...not as Many Childish Dumba$$ Colt humpers over there either...They are like me....TELL IT LIKE IT IS!!!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
You guys know I am usually a pretty quiet guy, right?
"Cold hard truth", I don't know if it is or not. I personally don't care if a $250 Rossi 4" .357 can make .00001" groups at 50 yards.
If I wanted to spend $250 on a Brazilian piece of junk, I would do so, but I doubt it. It's like trying to convince me that a Yugo is just as good as a BMW, look they are both cars and have a motor and they get you there. You know what I mean.
If I so choose to p**s away my money on Colts, because I love them, that is my business and if someone else chooses to really p**s their money away on a Rossi so be it. One more thing, have you seen the re-sale values of Yugo's lately. They are not in the same league as BMWs or Rossi's in the same league as Colt's for that matter.

------------------
Dick

There is a word sweeter than mother, home or heaven--
That word is Liberty.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts