1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Doesn't look refinished to me.

·
Registered
671 Posts
If you're thinking of the close up photo immediately above LHO getting his, I'd say the difference you detect is probably the difference in the lighting striking the frame and barrel which are on slightly different planes. I.e. the barrel is slightly further away from the light source and camera than is the frame. Just my two penn'orth; I do not believe refinish.

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
The barrel and cylinder usually do look a little different than the frame. The frame is anodized aluminum and the cylinder and barrel are blued steel. They normally do not match Perfectly but fairly close. This one looks good to me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It looks ok to me, no dished screw holes or weak stamps.

BTW Just last month I was in that building pictured in the auction where Ruby shot Oswald. It's used for traffic court now. (Cop was no show, cased dismissed.. : )

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm going to second the no refinish I have a dual tone 53 that looks like that. To the best of my knowlegde its never been reblued.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
That's a perfectly fine factory Cobra, no refinish.
As capstan mentioned, the blue steel finish of the cylinder and barrel and the black anodized aluminum finish of the frame always contrast, they never really match. It doesn't matter if it's a Colt Cobra or Agent, or an S&W Airweight.

For what it's worth, I've never seen a reanodized revolver aluminum frame look even close to the way Colt or S&W originals look. This includes Ford's reanodizing, which is often touted as excellent. The last Ford's reanodizing of a Colt lightweight frame I saw was actually not so hot.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
one of the reasons i asked is i have a older S&W Airweight. Color pretty consistant barrel, cylinder and frame. Don't have a Cobra yet.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
one of the reasons i asked is i have a older S&W Airweight. Color pretty consistant barrel, cylinder and frame. Don't have a Cobra yet.
That's why I mentioned the big two revolver makers in my post :)
I think the old Colt Lightweights and S&W Airweights have compatible coloring between the blued steel parts and the black anodized frames, but to my eye I can't call them matching. I think most people would agree with you using the terms matching when talking about this.
If you like the way S&W "matches" the blue steel parts with the black anodized frame, you will find the same satisfaction with the Colt lightweights. Both companies did a great job considering how different the two finishes are.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
The barrel and cylinder usually do look a little different than the frame. The frame is anodized aluminum and the cylinder and barrel are blued steel. They normally do not match Perfectly but fairly close. This one looks good to me.
Capstan has it right. :cool:

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Thats a pretty nice one if your looking for one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts