Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I've recently got the wants for a full sized 45 auto for a concealed carry and a house gun and would like to ask for advice from the folks who know what they are talking about.

I've got 2 different areas of thought on the subject and would appreciate some steerage.

Option 1. Buy a full sized modern colt 1911 or similar copy and use it but take good care of it.

Option 2. Buy something more expensive and more collectible in a colt and take good care of it. (I reason that something more collectible will appreciate quicker over time).

Option 3. ?????????

I haven't looked at 1911's in years until recently and I was shocked at what even series 70's are marked currently. I looked at a nice nickel series 70 goverment model this weekend that "used" to be a $450 to $500 pistol that is now $1150.

To you guys who deal or know about them where is the "sweet spot" now a days?

Thanks for some guidance guys.

Jim

·
Premium Member
all can view my website
1,952 Posts
Hi folks,

I've recently got the wants for a full sized 45 auto for a concealed carry and a house gun and would like to ask for advice from the folks who know what they are talking about.

I've got 2 different areas of thought on the subject and would appreciate some steerage.

Option 1. Buy a full sized modern colt 1911 or similar copy and use it but take good care of it.

Option 2. Buy something more expensive and more collectible in a colt and take good care of it. (I reason that something more collectible will appreciate quicker over time).

Option 3. ?????????

I haven't looked at 1911's in years until recently and I was shocked at what even series 70's are marked currently. I looked at a nice nickel series 70 goverment model this weekend that "used" to be a $450 to $500 pistol that is now $1150.

To you guys who deal or know about them where is the "sweet spot" now a days?

Thanks for some guidance guys.

Jim
Jim,

I recommend doing both 1 & 2. You can run a test for us and see which works out the best. See you at the Waco show weekend of the 27th?

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim,

I recommend doing both 1 & 2. You can run a test for us and see which works out the best. See you at the Waco show weekend of the 27th?

Yep....making a weekend out of it!

·
Registered
419 Posts
For concealed carry, or home defense, my choice would be a good shooting used, not abused, series 80 1911 anything. You'll have Colt quality in a firearm that nobody really cares about for the time being. That way if you have to use it, then you lose it, it won't hurt quite as bad in the ol' wallet. And being a Colt, you'll have a hard time losing money if you want to sell.

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anyone tested the quality of the auto ordnance 45's?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Carry guns and house guns get used. Why go new and deal with the depreciation?

Buy a nice used series 70 gun in decent shape and then use it. Don't worry about it. If I were buying for carry today, I would be looking for one that was already scratched up a bit, tested a bit and cheap. Carry guns just get a lot of wear and tear on them.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I just looked at the new Lightweight Government Model and boy is it calling my name. A LGS has one for $979. I can't think of a better full size Gov't model to do what you describe. Colt name, Colt warranty, Colt customer service. What's not to like?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Go with Option 3: Buy a Colt Defender, .45 ACP power in an easy to carry, shoot and conceal 22.5 oz. package of power.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts