Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that this is a nearly impossible question to answer with any true accuracy but.

There is a local Auction taking place tomorrow, June 3rd. Somewhere around 250 firearms will be auctioned off.

A number of them are Colt model 1911. Most marked U.S. Property or U.S. Army.

My question is, " What would be a safe limit to bid? " In other words, don't go over what amount $.
Some are listed as NEW, others, Very Good condition. MFG 1917 for one of them.

Also listed is a Colt SAA 1 generation in 44-40 cal.

A Colt model DA-38, in 38 cal. 6 inch barrel, RAC inspected?

A Colt Banker Special in 38 cal. 2 inch barrel.

A Colt 1909 U.S. Army DA-45 90% original with VG Bluing

And a Colt mod. 1902 standard 38 rimless/smokeless semi auto.

These are quotes from the Auction house.

Also listed is a boat load of Winchesters, U.S, Springfields and a few S&W's

Got a little side tracked. I'm interested in the 1911's and don't want to spend too much.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Marc

·
Registered
931 Posts
I understand that this is a nearly impossible question to answer with any true accuracy
Sorry, but that is the final answer. Can you tell me what my house from 1993 is worth?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Marc, without photos to judge actual condition including their original condition it is not only hard to value them but impossible. Bid what you are comfortable. Do you have access to Clawson's or Poyers books? If you do then you could always take one and check the 1911's out that way.

For a mix and match 1911 I personally would'nt pay $500. But in original configuration I've seen them sell for $1500-$2000 for run of the mill variations. Guns International and GunBroker list them all the time. You could get price info there but I see alot of guns sit for weeks because the seller has set an unreasonable price.

I think I would be trying to get the screaming deal on the Bankers Special and the First gen .44-40.

Good luck and don't forget to post pictures after you win. :)

·
Registered
419 Posts
(QUOTE) My question is, " What would be a safe limit to bid? " In other words, don't go over what amount $.(QUOTE)

I think your safe limit would be determined by WHAT amount YOU FEEL comfortable with and don't go over that.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
It is nearly impossible, but there is a range... a very wide range, but a range none the less. The absolute low end would be about $500 for a beater - mixmaster. "Very good condition" means one thing to me... it may be something very different to you. The other end of the spectrum would be in the $4k to $8k range with some HUGE qualifications. They must be all original, 98% or better. As suggested, grab a reference book (Clawson or Poyer... Poyer's book might be available at your local gun store or a well stocked book store) and confirm the small components. I'm guessing that this pistol is most likely no where near 98%+, and would be valued much closer to the shallow end of the range... but that is exactly what it is - a guess.

Bottom line... I think texasleaguer's advice is best... determine what you feel you are comfortable with, and don't get caught up in the moment of the auction and exceed that number.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts