Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a GENUINE Colt 1911, Type 3 hammer. Can anyone point me to a source for one? I wanted to post in the WTB section, but I have a low post count, and can't post there, yet. But I have a very good condition 1911, S/N 214XXX, that has the wrong hammer, and I would like to make it right, as long as it doesn't cost me too terribly much. If someone could just point me towards a source, for one of these hammers, I would be very grateful.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
SARCO has one that looks right from their picture (whether it actually is I couldn't say without having one in hand or a better picture) for $12.50

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I just sent them an email. Their part number C45054, looks to be it, probably. When you click on the link that says "1911 .45, Hammer, Wide Spur" it does not show the wide spur hammer, in the photo, that comes up, but when I click on the link from "C45054" RIGHT NEXT TO THAT PREVIOUS LINK, it looks to be the correct hammer. So, I sent them an email, to get clarification.
I also need an original set of double diamond grip panels, but I don't want new repros. I want to get some decent condition originals. I'll just have to keep looking at the gun shows.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Original ones are hard to find, repros are plentiful. I have an original pair of them, but with numerous notches. Maybe they were Sgt. York's?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have an orginal high condition hammer...... Its listed in the WTS section under USGI Parts.

Contact me at usgi45s(at)hotmail.com if interested.

If the 1911 is as nice as you describe, I would imagine only an original will do......

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Midway is my "Go-To" place, for most things firearms related. In fact I have an order coming from them right now. But, no, they don't have the original, made in 1916, Colt, 1911 (not A1) Type 3 hammer. It looks like it's going to be a gun show item. I have one fellow from here, who says he has one, which he is willing to sell, but I would prefer to see it, in person, before committing to buy, much of anything, as there are a couple of other wide-spur hammers, that have been made for John Browning's design. I'll buy from him, if he still has it, after I check this weekend's gun show, for sources.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Midway is my "Go-To" place, for most things firearms related. In fact I have an order coming from them right now. But, no, they don't have the original, made in 1916, Colt, 1911 (not A1) Type 3 hammer. It looks like it's going to be a gun show item. I have one fellow from here, who says he has one, which he is willing to sell, but I would prefer to see it, in person, before committing to buy, much of anything, as there are a couple of other wide-spur hammers, that have been made for John Browning's design. I'll buy from him, if he still has it, after I check this weekend's gun show, for sources.
If you are referring to me.... see the comments and all the military 1911s I have helped members with here over the years.....also you have a return priviledge if you dont like how it looks with your example. My stated conditions are very accurate..... sorry no surprises here.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, I was not referring to you. I had 4, or5 folks, who replied to my enquiry.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FYI-I bought my hammer from OldCanuck, and it was exactly what he said it was, in exactly the condition it was described as being, and it wound up matching the finish on my G.I. 1911, c.1918, pretty much perfectly.
He is a great guy to deal with, and a man of his word. As was stated in an earlier post, he can be dealt with, with the utmost confidence.
Thanks Bob. I look forward to doing more business with you.

Reactions: oldcanuck
1 - 13 of 13 Posts