Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
Contact First Stop Guns in Rapid City. I have purchased firearms from them in the past and they are an honest and reliable dealer. They advertise Appraisal Services. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
I looking for a Colt Collector member that can do a value/ condition assessment on my early 2nd gen Black Box SAA's.
Any authorities out there?

Thanks,
J.C.
SAA's...plural? We may not have any authorities but we have have several very well educated students that enjoy seeing early 2nd. Gens and black boxes. Post some good images!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Contact First Stop Guns in Rapid City. I have purchased firearms from them in the past and they are an honest and reliable dealer. They advertise Appraisal Services. Good luck.
I've shopped First Stop for many years and it's a good recommendation. With this ice in the air right now, it maybe Spring before I get back over there. But Thanks....

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've shopped First Stop for many years and it's a good recommendation. With this ice in the air right now, it maybe Spring before I get back over there. But Thanks....

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
Most of us hate photobucket for all the obvious reasons...

Nice collection!

Clear photos of all the box end labels or just a detailed written description of each and the first half of the serial numbers for each gun would go a long ways to helping give a realistic value to each gun. Up front, the 4 3/4" nickel guns with the original box is going to command a serious premium. Not many were made. And they are highly sought by collectors as is the Sheriff's. If that is real ivory even more so.

What is the caliber on the nickel gun?

A good publically available photo hoster and nice digital photos could get you what you need without leaving the house.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most of us hate photobucket for all the obvious reasons...

Nice collection!

Clear photos of all the box end labels or just a detailed written description of each and the first half of the serial numbers for each gun would go a long ways to helping give a realistic value to each gun. Up front, the 4 3/4" nickel guns with the original box is going to command a serious premium. Not many were made. And they are highly sought by collectors as is the Sheriff's. If that is real ivory even more so.

What is the caliber on the nickel gun?

A good publically available photo hoster and nice digital photos could get you what you need without leaving the house.
The guns are all 45's - I believe this collection includes all cataloged barrel lengths in the 2nd generation? I focused on guns in their original black boxes all numbered to the gun. All are lettered and original. The Ivory is real (not numbered to the gun). The box end on the 4 3/4" gun has the "Nickel" sticker. The Nickel gun is one of the early ones with the "High-Hammer"

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
It would help to know more about the serial number range on the very desirable 4-3/4" nickeled SAA. As I recall, the 1st 4-3/4" barreled SAA's were not introduced until around SN 15xxxSA. The lower the SN, the better on those guns. I think my black box 4-3/4" nickeled 45 is around 38XXXSA. I do have a 5-1/2" nickeled one in the teens.
Your nickeled SAA should fetch around $5000.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It would help to know more about the serial number range on the very desirable 4-3/4" nickeled SAA. As I recall, the 1st 4-3/4" barreled SAA's were not introduced until around SN 15xxxSA. The lower the SN, the better on those guns. I think my black box 4-3/4" nickeled 45 is around 38XXXSA. I do have a 5-1/2" nickeled one in the teens.
Your nickeled SAA should fetch around $5000.
Here's the list;

Following are pictures of "Early" 2nd. Generation SAA's in the "5" catalogued barrel lengths available in .45 Long Colt. Only the .45 caliber was available in all "5" lengths.
All are accompanied by their correct boxes, brushes, and paperwork. The set includes;

1. 0410SM - 3" Sheriff's Model - Dec 1961 - "Kenlee Sales" Houston, Texas
2. 25564SA - 4 3/4" Nickel - Early May 1959, "Jack Roy's Gun Shop", Hamtramck, Michigan
3. 36139SA - 5 1/2" Blue/Case Hardened - July 1962, "Ken's Gun Center" Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4. 6115SA - 7 1/2" Blue/Case Hardened - 1st year gun - August 1956 "Belknap Hardware" Louisville, Kentucky
5. 17223SA - 12" Blue. Case Hardened - shipped in the 1st 5 months of production of the Buntline - March 1958 - "Freeway Gunshop" Houston, Texas

Your welcome.....

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
I am a little confused...not uncommon.
Are you just looking for a "market value" on each for insurance coverage or just your own knowledge of how your investment is doing?
Or are you just looking for fair market value to set a price and sell them?

BTW...you're welcome.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I am a little confused...not uncommon.
Are you just looking for a "market value" on each for insurance coverage or just your own knowledge of how your investment is doing?
Or are you just looking for fair market value to set a price and sell them?

BTW...you're welcome.
My initial intentions since I put the group together, was to pass the Colts and assorted memorabilia & books on to one of my daughters. My other guns also parceled out to the other 4. I was looking for an assessment not to sell but to insure the lot and give my daughter an idea of value so they don't end upon a garage sale table. (you oughta see what the others are getting!)

The 2nd worse thing about collecting anything is parting with it. The #1 is parting with it to the uninformed.

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
My initial intentions since I put the group together, was to pass the Colts and assorted memorabilia & books on to one of my daughters. My other guns also parceled out to the other 4. I was looking for an assessment not to sell but to insure the lot and give my daughter an idea of value so they don't end upon a garage sale table. (you oughta see what the others are getting!)

The 2nd worse thing about collecting anything is parting with it. The #1 is parting with it to the uninformed.
And I must say, I've never been more proud to be called your daughter.;)

Serious note, that's an impressive collection. That Sheriffs model is on my "one day" list.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
I own a 2nd gen Sheriff's model in B/CC with original box and consider it to be worth about $3000. I also have a few 5-1/2" bbl. B/CC in Black Boxes and consider them to be worth in the $3000 range, also. The same value for the 7-1/2" B/CC SAA. On a good day, any of these three might sell for $3500.

The 4-3/4" nickeled SAA is by far the most valuable due to its rarity. That should easily sell for $5000.

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
Your Buntline is likely in the $2500 to 3000 range.
I bought a first year 2nd Gen production, new, a few months ago, no box for $1300 from a dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
If you were to sell them I'd send you a cashiers check on monday morning for $18000.00. For insurance, a third more.

·
Registered
759 Posts
That is a nice group. I have a 1959 5 1/2" in .45, probably not as nice condition, with box, paperwork, etc., that I'm around $2500-2800. You might want to check the prices realized on the auction web sites and see what similar ones have sold for. As others note, the nickel and Sherriff's model are very tough to find.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Wow, what exceptionaly nice set of Colts!
Vic

1 - 19 of 19 Posts