Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at yet another Colt :rolleyes: and could use your thoughts on the pricing.

This is a .357 mag Colt SAA case hardened 7 1/2' BBL flax ivory 3rd gen. for $1,215.00.
The seller is an FFL and is a hour drive from me so no shipping.
The serial looks to be SA46254 in the pic but I get "no results found" on the Colt.com lookup database.

I would appreciate your thoughts on price and condition.

My thanks in advance :D

Jim

·
Registered
813 Posts
I believe that s/n is from Nov. Dec. 1980. Colt had some quality issues during that time frame so it's good that you can see it and handle it. I cannot tell if its been shot from your pictures but from the marks on the cylinder it's been handled a bit. I think the price is a bit high for its condition because you can get a current production one for a tad more. And the quality for current ones are excellent.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe that s/n is from the late 1980's. Colt had some quality issues during that time frame so it's good that you can see it and handle it. I cannot tell if its been shot from your pictures but from the marks on the cylinder it's been handled a bit. I think the price is a bit high for its condition because you can get a current production one for a tad more. And the quality for current ones are excellent.
Thanks,
That is the type of info I need.
I have inquired at a couple of local FFLs about ordering a new Colt SAA and they all replied that they are all on "allocation" and they can't get any. Am I being handed a bunch of BS?

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Thanks,That is the type of info I need. I have inquired at a couple of local FFLs about ordering a new Colt SAA and they all replied that they are all on "allocation" and they can't get any. Am I being handed a bunch of BS?
No, you're not. Colt's is currently about two years behind based on the number of orders it has to fill. I would watch Gun Broker and try to pick up a nice new in box model from there. The SAAs are in demand because of Colt's shortage, so I would check GB daily for new listings.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I would pass on this one and look for a newer one too.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I would agree that the price is a tad high. However, while you might get a "better" deal via one of the auction sites you will have to figure shipping and FFL fees, plus you won't get to handle the gun before buying.

And, while you didn't ask for this, I've always found the modern and versatile .357 Magnum to be incongruent with a fixed sight antiquated single action revolver. Also, the fake ivory grips turn me off.

John Gross

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would agree that the price is a tad high. However, while you might get a "better" deal via one of the auction sites you will have to figure shipping and FFL fees, plus you won't get to handle the gun before buying.

And, while you didn't ask for this, I've always found the modern and versatile .357 Magnum to be incongruent with a fixed sight antiquated single action revolver. Also, the fake ivory grips turn me off.

John Gross
I agree on the grips.
The reason I am looking for a .357 is that I already own two .357 revolvers and I would rather not add an additional caliber to my ammo stores.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Be aware that the .357 is a dog for resale in SAA revolvers. I wouldn't buy this gun because of the cal and the non original grips. My interest would start to perk up at $900 or less.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Be aware that the .357 is a dog for resale in SAA revolvers. I wouldn't buy this gun because of the cal and the non original grips. My interest would start to perk up at $900 or less.
Good to know, but I don't want to add yet another caliber. I am going to pass on this SAA.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I sold my 3rd gen SAA for 1400 not more than a couple months ago. It had been shot and I had no shortage of people wanting to purchase it. I had it on guns america and 4 people hit on it the same night it was posted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.