Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The asking price for this Colt has me completely confused about gun values.

I know, I know...I'm always in a state of confusion because I don't know a lot about Colt things, but this has me totally flummoxed.

What am I missing here? What could possibly make this Government Model worth $5,000? Even if it is NIB, it's still about as ordinary a Colt as you can find. Could it be that the absence of the words "Government Model" on the gun adds to its value? Click here.

Yes, I see the stocks, and I'm a fan of walrus ivory. But frankly, that doesn't look like any walrus ivory I've ever seen. They look more like mammoth ivory bark stocks to me. But whatever they might be...walrus or mammoth...I wouldn't put their value at over $600 max. So that still leaves $4400 to be justified. I don't see it.

Again, what am I not seeing? What makes this pistol special?

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Everyday carry Gun accessory

·
Registered
347 Posts
Because it's an antique with out of production series 80 firing pin safety system. Based on most of auction history of Colt antique firearms, must worth that much. :D

On the serious note, it is one of the hundreds of thousands of O1991 made that came with a nice set aftermarket grips. Nothing more.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Like you, I ran the number. Same result, of course. So no problem there I guess. Now, if the gun’s a complete restoration from some horrible condition, I could see the price inching upwards. Turnbull is recognized as one of the best at that. But without a better description of any work being done, I’d have said $2200-$2500 tops. And that’s with the walrus stocks.

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I looked on Turnbull’s website, but there isn’t any further info on this gun. It’s just listed for sale as an NIB 2013 Government Model. I still have to say, I just don’t get it. I’ll add that they do have some really nice engraved Govt. Models for sale…engraved by Ralph Ingle. They ain’t cheap, either.

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it wasn’t Turnbull, I would hypothesize a spouse was told they needed to “thin the herd” and put stuff up for sale…. But Hon, it’s not selling!? 😉
Maybe Mrs. Turnbull told Doug it’s time to get rid of some of those guns layin’ around the shop?

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
The asking price for this Colt has me completely confused about gun values.

I know, I know...I'm always in a state of confusion because I don't know a lot about Colt things, but this has me totally flummoxed.

What am I missing here? What could possibly make this Government Model worth $5,000? Even if it is NIB, it's still about as ordinary a Colt as you can find. Could it be that the absence of the words "Government Model" on the gun adds to its value? Click here.

Yes, I see the stocks, and I'm a fan of walrus ivory. But frankly, that doesn't look like any walrus ivory I've ever seen. They look more like mammoth ivory bark stocks to me. But whatever they might be...walrus or mammoth...I wouldn't put their value at over $600 max. So that still leaves $4400 to be justified. I don't see it.

Again, what am I not seeing? What makes this pistol special?

View attachment 798861
I'm with you; I don't get it either.

The ivory can't be worth that much (to be blunt, it's ugly!).

No restoration, just a different pair of stocks... and it doesn't take much skill to swap out stocks. :)

Perhaps Turnbull is thinking the mere mention of their name qaudruples the price. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I'm with you; I don't get it either.

The ivory can't be worth that much (to be blunt, it's ugly!).

No restoration, just a different pair of stocks... and it doesn't take much skill to swap out stocks. :)

Perhaps Turnbull is thinking the mere mention of their name qaudruples the price. :rolleyes:
I won't go so far as to say the stocks are ugly, but as a matter of personal preference, I don't like them, and I doubt I'd ever buy anything similar. Bark is fine on Sambar, and sometimes on elk antler as long as it isn't too strong. But on ivories, I prefer barkless. Any ivory.

As far as Turnbull goes, I hate to be really critical, but their website seems incredibly slow at times. They are also currently offering a restored 1911 from 1913 for sale at $9,000. So...if you're selling it for that price, you need to put up more than two photographs, simple left and right side views. I know Turnbull's making enough money to buy more bandwidth which would allow them more data on their site. Anyone here pay $9K for a pistol seeing only two views of it? No, I didn't think so.

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Insane. It's a $1000 Colt at best. The walrus is $600 +/- and looks really out of place on that gun.

Hoping on name recognition and an impulse buy from someone with more dollars than sense.
It'd probably be priced at $1800-$2000 here, and an LGS would take $1900 for it. Believe it or not, there are potential buyers around here who've never even seen a genuine Colt Government Model. I know this for a fact. We do agree on those stocks, though. I've seen some gorgeous pre-'72 walrus ivories for 1911s, but these aren't among those. I've missed out on two pair because I thought there'd be more coming...but I haven't seen any come up for sale in about a year on the site I buy from. I'm sure there are some out there for sale, but if I'm gonna pony up $400-plus for walrus, it'll be from a seller I know and trust, not just a random Internet dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also, an asking price this far out of line with reality, doesn't put the shop in a good light. If they're this far out of line on an ordinary Government Model, what does that say about the prices they're asking for other guns or services offered.

Best regards,
Well, I certainly don't have an answer to that question. Turnbull does have an excellent reputation for turning out outstanding restoration work, and they manufacture a beautiful 1911 reproduction pistol. Their work is second to none, and I'm on board with charging for quality work. The problem I have with this gun is that I simply don't see any of their quality work having been done to it, and they offer no details about the gun. Anybody can stick a pair of ivories on a gun. And their prices are mostly out of line for ordinary guys like me.

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's a continuation of the M1911A1's serial numbers, brought back on the model O1991-COLT M1991A1™ pistol in '91.
Can you explain further? Are you saying this pistol's number picks up at the end of production for Colt's 1911A1 pistols?

I'll note that Turnbull's now put up more photos of the pistol, and also state that it's a NIB 2013 gun. And it comes with the original double diamond stocks and two magazines. I wouldn't mind knowing the source for the walrus stocks. I'll also note the flat MSH and long trigger. It's really just a matter of curiousity to me which model this is. It apparently has the Series 80 thing going on, which would actually lower its value in my eyes. I mean, I wouldn't be buying it, anyway, but $5K is just way out of line.

Air gun Trigger Everyday carry Gun barrel Revolver

1 - 20 of 25 Posts