Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for my first`AR. Ran across a Colt (forgot to get the model #). I believe a "defender" had 16" barrel, removable handle, adjustable rear sight, flash arrester (bird cage), bayonet lug, 2- 20 round mags, hard case, sling. Supposedly about 20 rounds thru it as was bought and returned as guy needed money back. Out the door price is $1,000.00. Been looking and seems a reasonable price. Any input appretiated.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Great information from William B. :)

Since this is the Colt Forum I'd suggest you get a Colt 6920. Selling for $1050.00 NIB or less at most gunshops.

Colt is the original M4-- they've been making them for many years and all other AR's are usually judged by the Colt standard.

A side note: one thing I've noticed about folks selling used firearms is that they always have " only 50/100/500/ insert no. here rds." through them. ;)

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was definately a Colt.....obviously not a "defender". Found some that looked close for around 1200.00. From what I saw today at Jays sporting goods the $1000.00 price was about right as new ones going for 1150 to 1250.00

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm looking for my 1st AR15 too. I've only shot the range rental Bushmaster brand so far but have a budget for no more than $2k. I looked at the 6920 and 6940 Colt models along with a few Bravo Company, Knights Armament and Core 15. Hard to really tell a difference being new with AR15's...except the Bravo and Knights seems to have a better finish and hardware than the Colt and rental Bushmaster.

The gun store sales guy said the Colt is obviously a tried and true awesome riffle but after market parts can be hard to get due to Colt uses different pin sizes on the civilian AR15's than everyone else's AR15's. He said if you want to have fun and swap out parts then get one of the other brands he has like the Core 15 or Bravo Co.

Thoughts////opinions?????

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good luck gtting a straight answer. All I asked was if folks thought the $1000.00 price tag was a decent buy. I am not that savvy on models etc. but it was obvious the one I looked at wasent a "defender".

·
Registered
852 Posts
The gun store sales guy said the Colt is obviously a tried and true awesome riffle but after market parts can be hard to get due to Colt uses different pin sizes on the civilian AR15's than everyone else's AR15's. He said if you want to have fun and swap out parts then get one of the other brands he has like the Core 15 or Bravo Co.

Thoughts////opinions?????
The gunstore guy didn't know his butt from a shoal in the sound. Colt reverted to standard pins and FCG parts years ago; the only time you will encounter the issue currently is with used guns.
Strongly suggest you do more reading here and over at AR15.com. The short take is to get some sort of Colt M-4gery, but there is such a variety of stocks and sights that you should do your homework first. That way you don't have to replace either after your purchase, tho' you may find you want to change things over time.
I went off half-cocked when I bought my first AR after the ban expired (never especially wanted an AR 'till Billy Clinton said I couldn't have one); bought a Colt HBar that was just too damned heavy to be any fun shooting offhand.
So do your homework, and don't be too bamboozled by gunshop commandos. There are some knowledgeable ones out there, but there are BS merchants as well.
Moon

·
Registered
44 Posts
halfmoon...yep doing some reading here and just signed up the other day on a ar15.com. I have lots to learn but this is all very interesting for me and fun. I know from past hobby's is I really need to just buy something and start using it then I will really start learning what I like and more about the actual gun.

I'm very tempted to get a Colt 6920 or 6940 m4gery over other brands of m4fery's due to Colt's long military history which I think is impressive and very cool.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'm very tempted to get a Colt 6920 or 6940 m4gery over other brands of m4fery's due to Colt's long military history which I think is impressive and very cool.
There is some merit to this approach, assuming that you get a quality piece for a start. The two Colts are a safe bet. Let me humbly suggest that one change you will want to make is a Geissele SSA trigger. Standard AR triggers from about everybody are heavy, crunchy and creepy, so you are better served to change it out for the reliable and consistent SSA. Total breakweight is 4lbs; about 2 in each stage, and the second stage breaks clean. No misfires either. Brownells has them for $170, and it is money very well spent; if you're handy at all, you can install it yourself.
Moon

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've only had 3 AR15 rifles before I moved to Class III guns.

1st' Colt HBAR II.............excellent rifle

2nd Aramalite...cant remember the model, black plastic not green, same size and looks as the HBAR II

3rd. Bushmaster..full size, removable handle.

All in all....they performed well and all were accurate. Time to sell or trade...Colt carries the name, Armalite carried some value and Bushmaster was considered a used AR.

Cohiba

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've had a Colt 6731 that shoots less than 1/2 MOA if it has the ammo it likes. It's an HBar and a little heavy but I've had it about 17 years and would never get rid of it. They are still listed in the current Colt catalog but not sure of the price now. Good luck.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Good luck gtting a straight answer. All I asked was if folks thought the $1000.00 price tag was a decent buy. I am not that savvy on models etc. but it was obvious the one I looked at wasent a "defender".
I/we gave you some very good information. What did you expect when you were describing a Colt AR that doesn't exist? The Defender is a Colt handgun. :eek:

As for someone's comment about the 6940 being an "M forgery" they're just plain wrong.

I have a brand new 6940 with Colt M4 marked all over it. ;)

I've added a Magpul CTE stock, Aimpoint Micro T1 Sight with Larue Tactical LT 660 mount and Larue Tactical fug grip.

When you post a question as a new member of a forum, I'd respectfully suggest you read the responses carefully before you start whining.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's the hardest question to answer...Is $such and such$ a good price? Really depends on several things. Where you ive, How many GS's have AR's for sale in your area ect ect. Then add USED and now you are in another level.

I bought my 6720r used. Was told it had less than 50 rounds. I had the salesperson tear it down to the bolt. Orginal grease, no copper fowling, clean hammer and other indicators. Compare a new rifle to it.

Is $1000.00 a good deal on a Used Colt? I have no idea when I can not inspect the rifle. Is a Colt, new or used a good buy for a AR? Dam right it is. Name has respect. People stop at a Colt to take a peek.

The other "new AR buyer"....You have a budget for under $2k. Good Luck. Seriously, I have no idea what I would choose. Knight would be at the top. They look different and I spoke with an Army Vet that carried a Knight in Afgan.. He Loved the Rifle!! Never a problem. His entire company carried them. That carries weight with me. Largest reason why I chose Colt. Law Enforcement, Goverements and various Military's carry Colt. Good enough for them, good enough for me.

Just make sure your $2k AR can out shoot the $1k AR or you might get a little pissy. I would.

·
Registered
44 Posts
sixgun, good post thanks!

I'm just going to buy new because I do not know enough yet to inspect a AR and buy used. That said, like you I'm also impressed with Colt's AR's military service. However I didn't know that Knights also supplied the US military with AR's too. I thought it was either Colt and now some HK's for our troops.

Educate me please on what AR's our troops are issued...thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mdrums, I don't know what brands of AR have seen service with our Troops. Colt is a given. I was in a GS and met a Army Vet. Good Kid. Told me all about Knight. Even he said it was rare and didn't know of any other outfit to be equiped with Knight. I know that FN's SCAR 16 & 17 versions are active, as was H&K's 416 with SF.
Perhaps others might have info on other brands that saw service.

·
Registered
288 Posts
2nd thought, If others have info then start another thread so we don't hijack this one. Only fair.
Start another thread? Whatever for?

Let's get back to the first post by bobdeb :
"Looking for my first`AR. Ran across a Colt (forgot to get the model #). I believe a "defender" had 16" barrel, removable handle, adjustable rear sight, flash arrester (bird cage), bayonet lug, 2- 20 round mags, hard case, sling. Supposedly about 20 rounds thru it as was bought and returned as guy needed money back. Out the door price is $1,000.00. Been looking and seems a reasonable price. Any input appretiated. "

I'd suggest you re-read it Sixgun. It makes zero sense. All responses have been on point, there's no need for "another thread". :mad:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Educate me please on what AR's our troops are issued...thanks!
A standard Marine infantry unit will have a mix of FNH M16A4's, Colt M4's, SAM-R's, MK11's (for snipers), and HK M27's. These are all of the AR-based firearms that we use at this time. Obviously, though, secret squirrel units are issued some different firearms than a standard line unit and rear echelon units may have some hand-me-down M16A2's and such.

·
Registered
436 Posts
You said this:

Any input appretiated [sic].
Then you said this:

Good luck gtting [sic] a straight answer. All I asked was if folks thought the $1000.00 price tag was a decent buy.
Am I misunderstanding something here :confused: Did you use the search feature on this forum at all to look for an answer to your question or did you just start a new thread asking us all for the proverbial "fish"?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Will, 'M4gery' is a generic term often used over at Arfcom for M4-lookalike carbines. What we can buy are indeed only lookalikes because they have no selector switch, but the term is not disparaging. The same rifle that's been such a success with our military has been a real hit with civilian shooters as well. The military heritage is no small part of that, but they're just dandy rifles.
My own example is a pencil barrel 'Government Carbine' with iron sights (aka, a 'KISS' carbine, keeping it simple...), and it's a ball to shoot, and a Colt, but optics aren't a thing easily done due to the fixed carry handle.
The OP will have some reading to do and decisions to make; the previous poster who noted a Colt's greater value at trade-in time also was on to something.
Moon

1 - 20 of 24 Posts