Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this 1954 vintage 3-5-7 in a pawn shop. Obviously the finish is mostly gone, but the gun locks up like a brand new one and with .38 wadcutters is as accurate as anything I own. Sadly the original Grips had been replaced with what I'm sure are a Jay Scotts. Stamped on frame under the grips is Kodiak Gun Works. Is there any significance to this? I think that was a custom shop but that's all I know. Bought it as a shooter so not real worried about any collector value, mainly curious. Got it for $300 and I figure I'll have some cheap fun over the next few years.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
You bought a nice revolver to shoot!

The action and trigger on these are about the same as on the Python. They
are very accurate and I know you'll have fun at the range. I have one and I
love it! Can't tell you anything about Kodiak gun works but I'm sure
that somebody on this forum will.

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
The Colt 57 and Coltsman rifles were assembled under contract for Colt by Jefferson Arms Company which became Kodiak Arms before production of the rifles ended in the 1960's. Whether Kodiak Arms has any connection to Kodiak Gun Works I can't say.

The Colt 357 is a very fine revolver.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,613 Posts
Generally, the only time a company stamps their name on a pistol is when custom work has been done.
I would assume that in this case an action job was done because I don't see any modifications.

For $300 this was armed robbery and you were the one armed. This is one of those legendary deals that you'll be bragging about for years and years.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Generally, the only time a company stamps their name on a pistol is when custom work has been done.
I would assume that in this case an action job was done because I don't see any modifications.

For $300 this was armed robbery and you were the one armed. This is one of those legendary deals that you'll be bragging about for years and years.
That was my guess. The action is not as slick as some I've seen but certainly better than most of the new stuff out there. About the same as my stock 76 Python. It had to have been sitting around neglected for years due to the dust and crud inside. It really needs a good soaking. All I've done is sprayed it down good with break free and that worked wonders. Hopefully soon I'll find the time to give it the cleaning it deserves and I'm sure it will get better. Actually gets a little better every time I take it to the range.

·
Premium Member
6,102 Posts
I picked up a 1960's officer model 38 in about the same shape for about the same price without factory stocks. I lucked out finding a pair of worn original colt target stocks for $40 (that was the best deal). My plan is to pass it on to a friend who wants a good shooting gun as I have a much better example.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts