Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my mother in law just gave me a colt mk iv series 80 government issue .38 super. its blued and in pretty good shape. shoots ok. not great. curious of value and rarity. and some of you fellas are the experts. I thank you for your time in advance.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Can't speak to the value but it's not very rare, they still make them. Some supers shoot very well, some ok, and some flat out suck. The problem with the older ones (Colt pre-1985) is that the case headspaces on the rim instead of the mouth like a .45ACP. Depending on how well the chamber is cut will determine accuracy because of bullet jump to the rifling and possible cartridge tilt with a chamber on the high side of the manufacturing tolerance. If it shoots ok then leave it be and enjoy it. If you feel the need to improve the accuracy I would go with a bar-sto replacement barrel which will headspace on the cartridge mouth. Wish someone would give me a super you lucky dog.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Not rare at all, but 38 Supers bring a premium when being sold. What I mean is, they bring more then for instance a 45. I have a 1955 LW Commander that is my EDC, it is more accurate then I am.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts