Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bought this pistol barrel is number matching. Super tight pistol. I bought it from a guy who’s had it in his safe for many years. He said he doesn’t know anything about the pistol but that he thought it might have been altered by colt because of the factory front sight. I’ve been looking for pictures of pistols similar but only fitz specials I’ve found with the same style front sight post. Anyone have any ideas?

E29C1866-E5D3-45F9-BD4E-F0A1F1BD8CC4.jpeg

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
Not factory work.

Not a factory front sight.

Barrel looks freshly crowned.

Any number of guys could do this sort of work.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
It's a shame someone cut down the barrel on this. Kind of neat, but has lost all of it's historical value. I am not an expert, but if I saw this for sale I might go $400-450 for it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
My Colt Model 1917 has the original blued finish as produced for WWI -- your color looks similar. So, it appears yours did not get the factory rebuild/Parkerized finish that most of these 1917's received for use in WWII.

It would be interesting to know what the recoil is like, but they are heavy revolvers.

Randy

Colt Army Model 1917 004.JPG

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,543 Posts
Back in the 1960's the military and US Postal Service were selling off the Colt Model 1917 revolvers, and they were plentiful in gun stores.

I read a story about a Miami narcotics detective that had one cut down to 2 inches and used it on the job.
He said that when his "clients" saw the gaping muzzle and cylinder holes they instantly got very passive.

Way back when, my old gun club president and leading member was a WWI aircraft mechanic for the Signal Corps in France.
He was a member of a huge gun and hunting club in Ohio in the 20's and 30's, and even in his early 80's he still shot his Colt 1917.
I rather got the idea that he'd brought it home from France and hadn't bought it through the DCM.

We all had .45 autos but the front end of that 1917 just looked larger somehow.

·
Registered
10,741 Posts
We all had .45 autos but the front end of that 1917 just looked larger somehow.
That's something so intimidating with big bore revolvers...with that large hole in the barrel and the cylinders visible you can see those big hollow points looking back at you!

Reactions: Scottz63

·
Registered
11,272 Posts
The government started selling the Model 1917 Revolvers through the NRA/DCM in the early 1920's. The Colt was $14.50 and the S&W $16.15 at that time. This probably accounts for the nice Model 1917 Revolvers we have today.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's a shame someone cut down the barrel on this. Kind of neat, but has lost all of it's historical value. I am not an expert, but if I saw this for sale I might go $400-450 for it.
Thank you I appreciate the appraisal. I paid 400 figured couldn’t go wrong at that price. Glad to know bought it for what it’s worth.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My Colt Model 1917 has the original blued finish as produced for WWI -- your color looks similar. So, it appears yours did not get the factory rebuild/Parkerized finish that most of these 1917's received for use in WWII.

It would be interesting to know what the recoil is like, but they are heavy revolvers.

Randy

View attachment 733617
I have some moon clips for it will take it out soon. Like you said it is a heavy pistol don’t think it’ll be to bad.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts