Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought what looks to be a very old SAA at auction. most of the markings are practically gone. The markings on the barrel are very faint but i can make out enough to see its a colt. The patent dates are clear and its 3 line configuration. 44ca can be made out to the right of the patent dates. The does not seem to be any other visible makings other than 2 digits above the trigger guard screw where the serial number usually is.

I will take some pictures when i get my hands on the gun. (Sorry california 10 day wait)

But id be interested in hearing what info you can supply me with the discription.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Sound fishy to me. 3 lines is way to late for a 2 digit gun even a 44 rimfire. To the right of the patent dates should be blank or marked US if it is a martial gun. Sounds like a very worn gun with a mystery mark. Can you post a link to the auction with pictures?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Already sounds like you have a Mexican or Belgium copy. Colts were not marked with a caliber on the frame next to the dates. Copies also had Colt or Olt incorporated into and address, but it's not correct. All parts should have a matching two digit number except the housing to be Colt.

JP

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
In the two digit serial number range, it would have a pinched frame. Also, as others have stated, there would have been no calibre markings, as all would have been .45 Colt (not .44 Winchester, as yours is). Also, as discussed, improper patent date markings.

·
Premium Member
4,677 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i paid $400 hopefully it can be shot and ill get my value out of being able to shoot it. Whats sad is a colt lightning .44 went for $450 which is where i should have put my money.

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
Those were basically built of wrought iron and lo pressure cartridges - do not try shooting it, if you still have use for your fingers and eyes.

You bought a decorator.

Next time, buy a book...

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
You've been offered some excellent advice above. We all make mistakes and I'd turn around and sell it for what it is (or, if possible, return it to the auction house for a refund), recover your 400 bucks, and put it into a Cimarron for plinking.

Chaz

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Some will and some won't If it was sold as a "COLT" and it is not a colt you have a leg to stand on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah they didnt lead anyone to believe anything about any of the guns even obvious ones. Sad part about that is i ended up being the biggest sucker of the day. Im not too worried about it though. Lesson learned ill survive. Not sure what ill do with it though doesn't seem worth the effort to try and resell. Maybe plug it up and sell it to a reenactor? Practice some ingraving on it/clean it up and display it?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Don't kick yourself. Experience is costly and this is a lasting experience at low cost. People are not born cperienced, they become experienced.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Well i paid $400 hopefully it can be shot and ill get my value out of being able to shoot it. Whats sad is a colt lightning .44 went for $450 which is where i should have put my money.
You need to study up on what you are bidding on. If the Colt Lightning was truly a .44 you would have still been buying a hoax since the Colt Lightning only came in .38 and .41 (nicknamed Thunderer).
tdennis

·
Premium Member
4,677 Posts
You need to study up on what you are bidding on. If the Colt Lightning was truly a .44 you would have still been buying a hoax since the Colt Lightning only came in .38 and .41 (nicknamed Thunderer).
tdennis
Not if it was the Lightning rifle.....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts