Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some information help on this Colt Woodsman Sport. I just got this about a week ago and have been learning what I can about the Woodsman.

woodsman_1.jpg woodsman_2.jpg woodsman_3.jpg woodsman_1.jpg
I know it is a Sport 3rd series and it has the 4 inch barrel. Here is where I need help. The front sight is not the standard blade.
This is a bead sight like on a rifle. The face of the bead is white. I have seen 1st series Woodsman with an ivory bead sight, but the design is completely different than mine.

Was this a special order option from Colt, or a well done after market change by a gunsmith?
If this was a special order or limited production run by Colt, would a letter from Colt actually tell me anything about the sight?
I can not find any pictures, descriptions, or other information.
Can someone please point me in the right direction to a book, website, or person that really knows about these classic guns?

I guess my big concern is wanting to know if I have a really enjoyable Frankenstein, or an authentic collectable. That may influence how often I take it to the field.
I ran one mag through it over the weekend and it functioned flawlessly! I love it.

Thank you.
-Brad

Premium Member
Welcome to the forum Khunt. We have quite a few experts on the woodsman pistols. One well known authority is Mr. Bob Rayburn and also check out
www.colt22.com

A Colt letter is always helpful when adding value to the gun when you believe the gun is in original condition. I don't believe the Colt letter would specify anything about the front sight. The Colt letter tells where it was shipped from factory and when. Barrel length, finish, grips (sometimes), serial, and the model.

Registered
Welcome to the forum Brad.

I can't tell for sure from your photos...but does your serial number have a "C" suffix?

Registered
I'm not quite an expert (yet) on most Woodsman model, but am constantly learning off the experts on this Forum. The 3rd Model Sport was my first Woodsman long ago - stolen in burglary. I think the sites are aftermarket. Yours is an excellent all around shooter and collectible. Get Mr. Rayburn's excellent pocket guide to start learning, then stay up with this Forum as I learn something new at least weekly. I also am accumulating literature on all different Woodsmans - there are lots of such on Ebay and many can be read without buying. Extra 3rd series mags seem plentiful and not too expensive, relatively to mags for the older series models. Take your time, there is much to learn here if you are serious about learning all the trivia, like I am. You're in the right place.

Reactions: khunt.803

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the replies. I'm starting to hear a general consensus that my front sight is aftermarket. That's a bit disappointing from a collection perspective, but very encouraging from the perspective of enjoying to hunt and shoot with this one. Since I'm not looking to sell it, and the letter is not likely to tell anything about the front sight, I will probably hold off on getting that.

I will definitely be collecting some books and such that provide more information on the Woodsman, and other Colt handguns. I also have a Dective Special that I had a gunsmith reblue. It was in such rough condition when I got it, it looked like a throw-away that had been skipped across the pavement a few times. It's real nice now.

Someone asked if the serial number had a C at the end. No, it ends with "-S".

Both The links to the Woodsman on GunBroker show different front sights than I have. Those are a blade sight with 2 pins holding it in. Mine is nothing like that. A neighbor friend has the Huntsman with the blade sight.

As for magazines, the guy I bought the Woodsman from contacted me last week saying that he had ordered what he thought were 5 mags for his 1st series Woodsman, but the turned out to be for my 3rd series. So he offered them to me for $150 including shipping. He said he paid $175. I mailed the check Monday and hope to have the mags late this week.

Premium Member
As for magazines, the guy I bought the Woodsman from contacted me last week saying that he had ordered what he thought were 5 mags for his 1st series Woodsman, but the turned out to be for my 3rd series. So he offered them to me for $150 including shipping. He said he paid $175. I mailed the check Monday and hope to have the mags late this week.
Please post pictures of the magazines when they arrive. At that price there is a strong possibility that they are Triple K magazines.

Registered
I am still curious about the barrel length of your gun. The Woodsman Sport should have a 4.5 inch barrel which would be measured from breech to muzzle. If it really is only 4 inches that may reflect that it has been modified and then the sight added.

Registered
If you look at the rear of the sight base - you'll see that it's had what looks to be a Williams or Lyman rifle sight soldered on - there's a definite red heat discoloration.

I'd say it was re-blued, as well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He mailed the mags today, so I should have them Saturday or Monday. I will post some pics when I get them.

I suspect they may be TrippleK mags. I know I was about to order a couple from TrippleK when he made me the offer. Maybe I should have asked if there is a known problem with those mags before I spent the money...a little late now, but the info would still be helpful.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He mailed the mags today, so I should have them Saturday or Monday. I will post some pics when I get them.

I suspect they may be TrippleK mags. I know I was about to order a couple from TrippleK when he made me the offer. Maybe I should have asked if there is a known problem with those mags before I spent the money...a little late now, but the info would still be helpful.聽

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Please post pictures of the magazines when they arrive. At that price there is a strong possibility that they are Triple K magazines.
Ok, the mags arrived today (Saturday, 5/10).
The 5 mags on the left are the new ones. The bottom says "Made in USA by B&E".
20140510_165205.jpg

Registered
Try them. If the work fine, keep them. If not, post them on Ebay with full disclosure/no guarantee, etc.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I measured it today from the breach to the barrel and it is 4.5 inches. So there is nothing unusual in that regard. I had assumed it was 4 inches earlier just from looking at it. I know better now. Thanks for insisting I measure it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts