Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The photos in this post are of a small, possibly 32 cal. pocket pistol with the words Colts MFG Puppy on top of frame. Looking for information about when it was manufactured, where, possible value.

Attachments

·
The Consummate Collector
7,511 Posts
I am wondering if it was made by one of the European gun manufactures. The MFG on the top is wide apart and they may have marked it as such to get around the Colt name rights. I have never seen a Colt that looks like it. Colt did license K.K.P. in Austria around 1850 to build some small models. Look to see if the gun has any other markings. I have never seen the name Puppy on any of there guns. Some foreign countries did build some counterfeit guns that were marked Colt.

·
Registered
9,999 Posts
Belgian.

These were produced on the Continent for decades - a sort of cottage industry affair - but they weren't licensed by Colt.

Most are Webley copies, but the makers would put pretty much any major manufacturer's name on, in hopes of selling them to the unwary.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
There is a pistol with an identical outline to this one in A.B. Zhuk's Illustrated Encyclopadia of Handguns (fig. 1047) described as a "Bulldog" and attributed to Auguste Francotte & Companie, Liege. .320 calibre, 5-shot.

Rio

·
Registered
11,690 Posts
Years ago my dad brought home what he thought was a Smith $ Wesson breaktop revolver he won in a raffle. On top of the barrel it had For in tiny letters, then SMITH & WESSON in large letters, and then again in tiny letters Ctgs. The front and back markings were so tiny you didn't really notice what they said, but the Smith & Wesson stood out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts