Colt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all... new poster here with questions.

I'd been looking for a manageable, pocket-sized .380 as a BUG for a while, something as close in size to my Tomcat as possible. Preferably all metal construction.

Found a Pony Pocketlite at the gunshow this past weekend, & except for it being DAO, it seems to be exactly what I was wanting. Very little wear, came with the original box and all paperwork, the Hogue slip-on wraparound, and 5 magazines. Serial number is NR091xx.

I've been hunting the 'net trying to find out more info on the Pony, but the Colt websites I've found don't have it listed. Any idea when this was made? or why the model was discontinued? Any interesting websites I ought to look up?

Thanks for any info!

·
Premium Member
9,469 Posts
If you compare the Pony to your Tomcat, you will see that it is about the same size, but lighter and more powerful. You will also find that the felt recoil is less because it is a locked breech instead of a blow back. I carried a bobbed and modified Pony Pocketlite for years when it was appropriate for the size and power dictates of the situation. It was the smallest and lightest gun in its power class.

The Pony was discontinued in 1999 when Colt almost went out of business. At that time, it was unique, but that was before the Kel-Tec 3AT came out, which is also a locked breech .380, but smaller and lighter and less expensive. Being a small and light fanatic, I now carry the Kel-Tec.

I do not know when the gun mentioned was made. I am told Colt can tell you, but I do not know.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts