Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a source for SAA one piece walnut grips. Just plain straight grain walnut with an oil rubbed finish. I do not want to have to send my SAA to them for fitting. Any good suggestions?

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
Check with this forum's member LeverActionBill. He can do a nice set for you for a reasonable price. Fast turnaround too. You will have to send him the grip frame at least.

·
Registered
9,792 Posts
Nope.

Drop-in one piece walnuts don't really exist, since each pair of one-piece grips must be fitted to the straps and frame because of manufacturing differences in grip dimension.

Sad, but true...

Contact Dave Lanara.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Nope....

Contact Dave Lanara.
Really nice one piece walnut grips for little money if you can fit your own. I found them very easy to fit and shape with little in the way of wood working tools or skills.

more...

"Did a bit more before bed tonight. 20 minutes work time and one side is very roughed out. Tools? Two bench grinders. One with a medium cut stone emery wheel that Lowe's sells. The other with a silicone abrasive wheel. Neither is made for wood working. It is just what I have available at the moment. Easy peasy so far:) A hand file up next to get to where I want to use several grades of just emery paper for the final cut to metal."

$60 plus shipping for the blanks. For me it is one of the best deals available for a Colt SAA.

Colt single action restoration and repair

·
Registered
709 Posts
As far as Collinscraft grips, when did you get yours? I have tried to order SAA and Uberti grips from him a few times in the last 18 months or so, and he always replies very tersely that he cannot help me, no matter what material or style. Dixie Gunworks used to have very plain one piece walnut grip kits that looked real nice when sanded and stained after fitting. Not sure if they still offer them.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Really nice one piece walnut grips for little money if you can fit your own. I found them very easy to fit and shape with little in the way of wood working tools or skills.

more...

"Did a bit more before bed tonight. 20 minutes work time and one side is very roughed out. Tools? Two bench grinders. One with a medium cut stone emery wheel that Lowe's sells. The other with a silicone abrasive wheel. Neither is made for wood working. It is just what I have available at the moment. Easy peasy so far:) A hand file up next to get to where I want to use several grades of just emery paper for the final cut to metal."

$60 plus shipping for the blanks. For me it is one of the best deals available for a Colt SAA.

Colt single action restoration and repair
That does not look easy. I need one-piece wood grips too and I have considered Dave Lanara but that looks to be very tricky. The profile of grips is very important and I'm not sure I could get a decent profile from such a blocky piece of wood. Good job.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
chawk said:
>That does not look easy.

it really is easier than it looks.

I need one-piece wood grips too and I have considered Dave Lanara...

@ $60 a pair I thought it worth trying...and surprised how easy it was. I did buy two pair to have a "test" pair. Ended up not needing the test pair and will use them on another gun.

The profile of grips is very important and I'm not sure I could get a decent profile from such a blocky piece of wood.

I looked at it as a hobby project. Hate sending my guns off to get work. So thought it worth $120 for two pair of grips. All it took was time. But no question I was very nervous getting started and matching each side.

Good job

Thank you. the idea was to encourage others to try projects of their own.
Hope the inserts into the quote makes some sense.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Nice to see a craftsman develop a new skill. More than half the work with a real one piece, not glued grip, is the channel cut. No one else offers pre-cut channels on genuine one piece grips that actually fit a strap with zero internal trimming.

jp

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have an SAA with a raised area on the rear of the front strap near where the mainspring is screwed in. It's nickel, so I can't draw file it and touch it up with cold blue. I'm not sure how common that situation is. I plan on relieving the inside of the wood grip and making two piece panels. I hope my wife doesn't miss that lipstick I'm using to highlight it!

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
faraim said:
I have an SAA with a raised area on the rear of the front strap near where the mainspring is screwed in. It's nickel, so I can't draw file it and touch it up with cold blue. I'm not sure how common that situation is. I plan on relieving the inside of the wood grip and making two piece panels. I hope my wife doesn't miss that lipstick I'm using to highlight it!
Unsure exactly what you mean but if a properly fit pair of grips would cover up the file work, it would already be gone on any of my guns :) Pictures?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Here is a photo of the high area I was talking about in an earlier post. I scraped a across the grip frame to show the high area. Colt factory composition grip panels fit flush as they have the raised band along the periphery. I could file it flat but that would cut through the nickel plating and I keep thinking about the old adage, "Cut on the cheapest part."

IMG_3123.JPG

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
When you make your panels, just clamp the panels and the grip frame together in a vise before you shape them. The pressure will flatten the grip around the bump. If they are not wood, filing is the only thing you can do.. You might try tapping it with a ball hammer to see if it will lay down, as many times the nickel itself will build over a spot of grease or dirt, leaving a bump.

JP

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
I have a One-Piece Stock I have had for a while and was wondering the best way to fit the Backstrap/Trigger Guard. Do you guys file the groove on each side to fit and then begin the shaping process?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I have a One-Piece Stock I have had for a while and was wondering the best way to fit the Backstrap/Trigger Guard. Do you guys file the groove on each side to fit and then begin the shaping process?
All the one piece grips with under size grip channels are a pain to fit. One tip though is just file one inner side of the channel until you get a uniform slot that takes the straps. But then there is the top and front angle where it meets the frame. Somehow, you need to establish the top in relation to the bottom of the spacer so the strap holds tight. Too much work.

JP

1 - 20 of 31 Posts