Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for value & born on date, \"Army Special\"

I'm thinking of parting with a Colt & trying to get an idea of price.
It's a "Colt Army Special 38", 5". Gun is nice overall, good bore, locks up tight, tight action, timing nice. Some light pitting in a couple of areas(mostly a couple of flutes on cylender), & I would call the finish 70%?(blue worn off @ muzzle, near rear sight groove, & on grip frame, some scratches(nothing deep)). Colt Medalion wood checked grips, one side repaired, other side sound.
Ser # 446197(anyone have a date of manafacture?)
Any ideas?
Thanks guys.

------------------
Vance in AK.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Re: Looking for value & born on date, \"Army Special\"

Vance, your Army Special was made in 1920.
I am certainly no expert on those guns, but in the condition you described, I would put a value of about $200-250, at least for me. For one thing, I don't think the checkered medallion stocks come until a few years later and are probably not right to the gun.

------------------
Dick

There is a word sweeter than mother, home or heaven--
That word is Liberty.

·
Registered
150 Posts

D-back 68 has it right. None of my business, but unless you need the money, why let it go? Awfully difficult to find a good shooting .38 with the build quality and historical cache of an older Colt for $2-$250. An added plus is the 5 in. barrel which I think is ideal for balance and sight radius.

·
Registered
72 Posts

Agreed. If it's a good shooter and tight as you say, keep it, unless of course you're in desperate need for the money.
I bought an Army Special from Jim Supica a couple of months ago. It was made in 1912, is all original, with mint bore and chambers and about 93% blue. IT looks like it hasn't been fired in decades. I paid $400. Don't know how this fits in with other people's idea of value, but it's a thing of beauty. The high polish alone is a wonder.
JT

1 - 5 of 5 Posts