Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a club that I can join online, and hopefully pay online for without sending out a check to someone, that is recognized by the CMP. The club I had before was mail order and it took time to get the card in the mail...just lacked modern convenience.
Any recommendations?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Go to the CMP website and search for local clubs.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I found one that meets the requirement for CMP. It's the Garand Collectors Association. I am sure Kentucky is awesome for local clubs, but CT clubs sure don't seem like they care about adding members.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. I was a member of a different one previously, but you had to send in a check. This one allowed online payment.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
So I'm assuming the CMP has loosened the requirements to buy guns, from their predecessor the DCM? The purpose of the DCM was to promote shooting skills, so you didn't just "mail in a check" and "check the box". You joined a shooting club, and had to be present and accounted for and actually shoot matches. Today, it's a formality they ought to just drop. The mission of the CMP is NOT what they say on their website.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
So I'm assuming the CMP has loosened the requirements to buy guns, from their predecessor the DCM? The purpose of the DCM was to promote shooting skills, so you didn't just "mail in a check" and "check the box". You joined a shooting club, and had to be present and accounted for and actually shoot matches. Today, it's a formality they ought to just drop. The mission of the CMP is NOT what they say on their website.
Actually CMP has done a tremendous job of teaching marksmanship and promoting shooting sports. Far beyond the DCM days and surpassing the NRA. A trip Talladega or Perry would be educational.
Vic

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Perhaps, but I'm old school, Navy pistol team. I'm a son of a son of veterans going back to Pickett's Charge, we all shot. My father a Marine expert Rifleman and Pistol, as am I. Just don't get the current CMP "sell to the highest bidder" philosophy, where the rich collectors get all the guns, and the poor working man doesn't get one to learn to shoot.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Joe,
Maybe I will. Everything I've looked at in this 'hole requires me to know 2+ active members and a bunch of other hoops to jump through and aren't accepting members until 2025. I am, of course, exaggerating, but the requirements seem written to keep people from joining. I believe once I get my card from them, this and my permit satisfy my CMP requirements. I DO want a place to shoot, though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts