Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member here and this is my first post. I am looking to purchase a Colt AR 15. There are two that I'm looking at. Could anyone tell me the difference between the Colt LE6920SOCOM Carbine & Colt LE6920MP-FDE Carbine, Thanks

· *** ColtForum MVP ***
17,273 Posts
The LE6920MP-FDE is a standard LE6920 fitted with Flat Dark Earth Mag-Pul accessories.
This included the Mag-Pul stock, pistol grip, curved trigger guard, hand guards, pop-up BUIS windage adjustable-only rear sight, and vertical forward hand grip.

The LE6920SOCOM
Is a LE6920 with the US Army standard Matech steel pop-up windage and elevation adjustable BUIS rear sight, the standard military type M4 stock, and a heavy railed hand guard with Mag-Pul rail covers to cover the rails you don't use.

Both rifles come with one Mag-Pul 30 round magazine. The FDE will have an FDE colored mag, the SOCOM wil be black.
Either will not come with a cleaning kit or sling, and only the one magazine.

· Registered
1,429 Posts
I would just add more differences info between the models LE6920MP-FDE and LE6920SOCOM carbines.

Both have the same 16.1" barrels, M203 grenade launcher mounting notches in front of front sight, 1:7 twists, 5.56 chambers, chrome lined, mil-spec CMV steel alloy material and M4 barrel extensions (M4 extended feed ramps) except the big difference is the barrel outer diameter under the handguards.

The LE6920MP-FDE have a government contour (thin or lightweight profile) under the handguards measuring from 0.600" to 0.670" while the LE6920SOCOM have a medium-heavy SOCOM profile of 0.843", the SOCOM barrels are several ounces heavier than the gov't profile barrels but the heavier SOCOM barrels are slightly more accurate and does not heat up quickly when doing very fast rapid fire.

Other minor differences are the Magpul versions (also standard LE6920 carbines) have standard looking selectors but they're now reversible and have H heavy carbine buffers, the SOCOM models have ambidextrous selectors and H2 buffers which are heavier than the H buffers.

Roll markings on the Magpul and standard LE6920 lowers are "M4 Carbine 5.56MM NATO" while the SOCOM have the "M4A1 Carbine" and no caliber markings.

Older versions early this year and last year of the SOCOM model had the Knight's Armament M4 RAS USGI rail system but new current versions have the less expensive Troy drop-in rails.

· Registered
813 Posts
Either of these rifles would be a good first choice if you are going to purchase one. The SOCOM will be a few hundred dollars more for the extra features it has as mentioned in the previous posts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.