Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't expect it to last forever but sure appreciated it while it lasted. The cheapest appears to be $29 a year but I don't know if that will handle my simple needs of posting pictures in ads and in various threads. Someone on another thread mentioned shrinking pictures to "1,000 X 1,000 pixels or less" and it has made his P.B. last forever for free. I PMed him about this and am waiting for some more info. If any of you have any input or experience let me know. While I would love to still get it for free, I'll gladly pay for it as it's helped me make money on these forums. And I'm not about to whine about it like some free government entitlement. I might also check out Foto time. Anyone have this?

·
Premium Member
6,036 Posts
If you stay within 2 gigabytes of stored data, it's still free. I have 527 images loaded, and my storage is only 9% full.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
What about getting a new email address and password and starting fresh as someone else? Or is there tech out there that reconises that?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I'm not a computer geek, although I do play one on the Colt Forum.

My understanding is that for viewing on a computer screen, 800 x 600 is fine enough. Higher resolution is only necessary if you want to print quality hard copies.

I don't have a lot of pictures stored on photobucket (a little over 200) but I haven't even reached 1% of my capacity (the bar graph on my homepage says that my "Storage is 0% full."

John Gross

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Matt, I'm a lightweight and only have 178 images (2%) uploaded, some already resized downward and some of those I can easily delete. For this forum I upload most images directly from my computer but there are other forums where uploading isn't as user friendly (or to me anyway) and then I'll use Photobucket. I reckon for $30 a year and considering the amount of images you share, that's not a bad price at all. If you're comfortable with the ease of functionality and having to rely on "offsite" image storage then go for it. I maintain a removeable hard drive of all images and documents in the event a website is unavailable or if my computer decides to treat me unkindly and crash as we all know these electronic gadgets aren't fail safe.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I am 98% full with 456 images. If you go down in sizes is it the same picture size it was when I posted before? I know I had trouble at first and go to a different pixzel or whatever, but how do I change the 456 I have? I have tried getting rid of some to make way to add more and so far I havent been able to do it. They stay right there.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you stay within 2 gigabytes of stored data, it's still free. I have 527 images loaded, and my storage is only 9% full.
I have no idea how to change to within 2 gigabytes, but if I did like you said, do you think it would work retroactively for a guy who's already maxed out like I appear to be?

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I had 1000 images on mine and wasn't charged for it. I just deleted all of my gun pics though, no need to keep them on there anyway

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I only use Photobucket to host pictures I post on various forums, etc.; so I stay well within the free limits. I resize the pictures I host to typically 800x600 or 900x640 and I'm at less than 1% of my free storage allotment. For safe storage of my pictures I, personally, wouldn't use Photobucket. They are backed up on my home network to a NAS drive as well as burned on DVD's.

·
Registered
Colt 1911 Gold Cups The best ever made
725 Posts
They are now charging for linking a picture to message boards (and blogs). They also have storage limits.

I opened two new picture hosting sites today. I didn't approach the storage but got hit with the image rules.

The image will show this way when you exceed the bandwidth:

New site:

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I have no idea how to change to within 2 gigabytes, but if I did like you said, do you think it would work retroactively for a guy who's already maxed out like I appear to be?
If I understand your remark, you are saying that you are not sure how to create smaller sized pics, is that right?

I take all my photos on a high res setting, then once I have them on my computer I open them up in Microsoft Picture manager. You can then go to "View" and put the setting on "Thumbnails." This allows you to see all the pics on one screen. Once you do that, highlight all of the thumbnails and click on the edit button. Once you do that you will get an edit menu on the right side of your screen. Go to "compress" photos. Once you do that, set them to "document" size. (Email/web size is too small in my opinion). You will be able to upload a lot more pictures this way, and your upload time will be faster also.

The reason I take all my photos on a high res setting vs not just a low res setting to begin with is I like to start with a nice big crisp picture. I can always downsize or crop it later. Im still using photobucket for free, although Im not sure how many photos I have on there. Hundreds for sure

I have around 1K pics on there, and I am at 30%.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
You can still do links, but just text links, (not actual pictures) if I understand correctly. I just did some today.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I understand your remark, you are saying that you are not sure how to create smaller sized pics, is that right?

I take all my photos on a high res setting, then once I have them on my computer I open them up in Microsoft Picture manager. You can then go to "View" and put the setting on "Thumbnails." This allows you to see all the pics on one screen. Once you do that, highlight all of the thumbnails and click on the edit button. Once you do that you will get an edit menu on the right side of your screen. Go to "compress" photos. Once you do that, set them to "document" size. (Email/web size is too small in my opinion). You will be able to upload a lot more pictures this way, and your upload time will be faster also.

The reason I take all my photos on a high res setting vs not just a low res setting to begin with is I like to start with a nice big crisp picture. I can always downsize or crop it later. Im still using photobucket for free, although Im not sure how many photos I have on there. Hundreds for sure

I have around 1K pics on there, and I am at 30%.
OK. That does answer my question. Executing it will be a trial and error situation for lil' ol computer dummy me. But you guys are really covering a lot of bases for me here, and over at another gun forum. what would I do without ya'?! My son is a computer expert in Afghanistan and always helps me with this stuff so I can have him help me do what you guys explain to me.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
I got up to the pay-now limit about a year ago, probably when I exceeded 200 images. For the price it's worth it to me, even for only the basic photos. I have also found some of its other functions useful, such as setting up albums for specifics like S&W, Non Gun, Guns Other, Documents, etc., about a dozen albums. Colts being the biggest I leave in Library with no album. The 'Edit' function is useful in a lot ways with photos such as adjusting brightness & contrast, etc., of photos needing improvement. It has a re-size function that I haven't used.

P-Bucket has a few kinks I haven't figured out yet but it's good enuf for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm not high tech enough to know alot about picture sizing but I just checked my account after reading this.
I have 2,249 pictures stored and 13% full.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I'm not high tech enough to know alot about picture sizing but I just checked my account after reading this.
I have 2,249 pictures stored and 13% full.
Your camera settings must be set such that they are not producing very large files, (which is fine if you dont need large sized high resolution photos.) I can almost guarantee it if you have that much space left after 2249 pictures. If you want to know how big your files are, you can just hover your mouse arrow over the thumbnail of the pic and it should tell you the size. If your pictures are being measured in KB, then they are relatively small. If they say MB, then you are looking at a larger file. Most of my pics are usually 3.5 or 4 MB before I compress them. After I compress them, they are usually around 350 KB. Bigger number, smaller size. Even at 350KB, the resolution is still pretty good, and the picture is still big enough for most purposes. Sounds more complicated than it really is.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
I don't use photo bucket. I just download my pictures from my computer. I download my pictures from my camera to my computer. when I want to post a photo here I also shrink the pixels so the picture will fit here. just click on my photo's to enlarge.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts