Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just showed up in my inbox from Ruger a little while ago...yeah, hopefully they'll do some more configurations in the future. Probably a street price of $199ish, how can you go wrong for a shooter?

·
Registered
280 Posts
...heck Colt too...MSRP of $249. Not too shabby. Good for them-a company that listens to it's customers! Huh, what a concept!
I will be looking for one to go with my Single Six.

Not for sale in Minnesota??? Guess where I'm at....
Sounds like y'all need to move south. Kansas has repealed most all of their backwards gun laws, and all of their knife laws. No permit for concealed & open carry. AO knives concealed. Why in the Sam Hill would someone want to live where y'all can't buy a SA in .22 LR?

·
Premium Member
3,846 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
No interest. I would rather spend an extra $100 and find a lightly used Single Six. Or better yet a couple hundred and buy an Old Model.
I look at these as like the GSG .22 Government Model pistols that were all the rage some years back. I bought one and quickly realized why they were cheap. Functional yes, but I'm sorry I bought one and they have about the resale value of a Fiat with 200K miles on it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I went over to the Ruger Forum and this release has stirred up a hornet's nest of options. Some saying it is a good American made, cheap intro to shooting. Others think it is the end of Ruger.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Oh for Pete’s sake. How much does a SA .22 really need to cost. This is a pretty dang rudamentary platform here. I’ve got a Heritage Rough Rider that has Lord knows how many rounds through it and the thing functions as well today as it did the day my dad gave it to me. No doubt in my mind Ruger is perfectly capable, in 2019, of producing a quality .22 revolver that will more than get the job done at this price point. Reminds me of the trash I hear talked about the Henry .22’s. No it didn’t cost as much as your 39A or your 9422 and my great grandkids may not be able to auction it off for an untold fortune but at 18, I bought the dang thing via Wal-Mart layaway for $175.00 and it’s done every thing I’ve asked of it ever since. If this ain’t your cup of tea...fair enough, but I for one tip my hat to Ruger for throwing us broke country boys a bone.

·
Premium Member
3,846 Posts
Its is for me, while lots of new guns come along my Colts have always been reliable. Have a great day.

Jim
My bad! Sorry if I stepped on any toes.

·
Premium Member
3,846 Posts
Oh for Pete’s sake. How much does a SA .22 really need to cost. This is a pretty dang rudamentary platform here. I’ve got a Heritage Rough Rider that has Lord knows how many rounds through it and the thing functions as well today as it did the day my dad gave it to me. No doubt in my mind Ruger is perfectly capable, in 2019, of producing a quality .22 revolver that will more than get the job done at this price point. Reminds me of the trash I hear talked about the Henry .22’s. No it didn’t cost as much as your 39A or your 9422 and my great grandkids may not be able to auction it off for an untold fortune but at 18, I bought the dang thing via Wal-Mart layaway for $175.00 and it’s done every thing I’ve asked of it ever since. If this ain’t your cup of tea...fair enough, but I for one tip my hat to Ruger for throwing us broke country boys a bone.
I note: My 1959 Frontier Scout .22 Magnum has a Zamak frame. I remember here that 1959 was the first year for .22 Mag, and there were no "long-term" or extended firing tests of it in alloy frames that I am aware of. Clearly, it is strong enough and Colt's thought so. Granted, we all love the strength and those case colors on our (now) classic Peacemakers and New Frontier 22s, but we are very unlikely to ever see those again.

·
Registered
321 Posts
No offense intended to any potential buyers, but my first impression was Ruger is just joining the race to the bottom led by ever cheaper plastic framed pistols. I've owned my share of Ruger handguns and long guns, and no doubt this new one will go bang every time just like earlier Rugers. They will sell plenty of them on name and bargain basement price, and just as with the plastic pistols, owners will proclaim that their new Wrangler is just as durable, accurate and reliable as those overpriced fill-in-the-blank revolvers. Maybe so. Just kind of hate to see Ruger joining that race I spoke of....

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Ruger is doing as companies in many industries have done...they see a market that they haven't served and want to participate. I'm thinking that Ruger is wanting to bring in new, entry-grade shooters in the hope...maybe expectation...that once they become more proficient and wanting something new they'll stay with the Ruger brand for more expensive firearms. It's not too unlike the old General Motors philosophy of entry-level buyers get a Chevrolet, then as they age and enjoy upward mobility stay within the GM family or Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick and eventually Cadillac automobiles. Even Porsche has done that...they offended many Porsche aficionados when they started producing the SUV Cayenne model...it was a market the company had no product in and they wanted to compete. Those that thought Porsche sold out by no longer producing only sports cars may have been offended but the company made a marketing decision that seems to pay off. Ruger is attempting to do the same.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts