Colt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lawmakers approve sweeping gun measure :: WRAL.com

While some states like to take away your gun rights, it seems to me that North Carolina is getting it right. Allowing college students to carry. Also allowing CCP holders the ability to carry on College Universities and public school campuses also bars as long as they don't drink. The Republican Gov. will sign this law since it already had passed the house. Its refreshing to see the second amendment expanded and protect the rights of gun owners instead of our rights being trampled on mainly by this current administration. I am glad I live in North Carolina.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now NC needs to do something about their outragely high taxes! Ron
There has been talk of getting rid of the state tax and make it a consumption tax. I hate having to pay a personal property tax each year on my 3 cars or any boat, trailer, or anything else that they can tax.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Great for NC. My "adopted home state" and Gin's state of birth Vermont has it right.No State Gun laws and the second lowest crime rate in the United States.

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
I thought I read it wrong at first..when I went to WITN website to find out what's happening in the local world in Eastern NC
My wife even told me about it today to see if I knew about it... I said I know ! A good decision .. about the time I thought not a single one could be made.
Somebody has some sense at the state level on one thing. Strangely enough, they've realized "crazy people" will go elsewhere to do their deeds when the odds could be a little more evenly matched and then.. who's the target now?!!
ps.. I will continue to pay the higher NC taxes if they continue to make good decisions and let me carry my Colt to more places.
maybe other states will follow suite if they see what most know.. crime is low where "Men are Equal "

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I left NC 13 years ago, what's all this stuff about purchase permits?
For a purchase permit you go to your local sheriffs office in your county and make a pistol purchase application. They do a quick background check(make sure your not a felon of have any ongoing legal troubles) and you wait your 5 days and go back and you can buy 5 pistol purchase permits per application for a total of 10 purchase permits in a year. If you have your CCP you are allowed to buy as many guns without a permit that you want, but they are traceable to your CCP.

One of the new rules in this bill does away with the 10 permits limit if you don't have a CCW.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
For a purchase permit you go to your local sheriffs office in your county and make a pistol purchase application. They do a quick background check(make sure your not a felon of have any ongoing legal troubles) and you wait your 5 days and go back and you can buy 5 pistol purchase permits per application for a total of 10 purchase permits in a year. If you have your CCP you are allowed to buy as many guns without a permit that you want, but they are traceable to your CCP. One of the new rules in this bill does away with the 10 permits limit if you don't have a CCW.
It's now all done online,fill it out,give a debit card number and get an email when it's ready. My county usually is only about a 24hr turn around. On a funny note all my buddies and even my son have their CCP and make fun of me all the time for not having mine because I've got more tied up in colt snakes than all them put together in plastic fantastics glocks

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Is this "purchase permit" in lieu of the 4473 ? I see it evolving into something untoward. Sounds like a NYC concept moving south,not impressed. WY by far has the best gun laws in the country perhaps looking at our crime rate vs gun ownership would be a better direction.No CCWP required over 21, not a felon, state resident. You will not enjoy the penal system if you lie,cheat,murder,steal,laws are enforced with zeal,as it should be. It would be prudent to assume that every person in WY is armed as many are,open or concealed.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
The permit is just that. It permits you to go to a dealer or gun show and purchase. You still have to fill out the required paperwork at point of purchase. It's been this way in NC for ever since I can remember and I moved here in '73. They've just made it a little more convenient than it used to be.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
At first blush, I, too, supported the recent bill to do away with permits. I even wrote to our Sheriff Bill Schatzman asking him to support same, however, he and the NC Sheriff's Assn. were against it. He wrote the following thoughtful response in our local paper. He has some valid points:

6-13-2013
Letter to the WS Journal
“Keeping you safe”
All North Carolina Sheriffs, me included, are strong supporters of the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] amendment and the right of all law abiding citizens to own a firearm and the right of all law abiding citizens to carry a concealed weapon. In Forsyth County, it is the charge of the sheriff’s office to determine if you are such a person before a pistol purchase permit or a conceal carry permit is issued to you.
The North Carolina Sheriff’s Association originally supported NC House Bill 937 entitled “Amend Various Firearms Laws” but withdrew its support when it was amended to eliminate any review of purchase permits by any local sheriff’s office across the state. If this bill passes, the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), a computerized national database, will be the sole determinant for approving the issuance of a pistol purchase permit. Sheriffs across the state, including me, disagree with the amendment and are of the opinion that the NICS is not nearly as thorough as the background check conducted by your local sheriff.
The NICS can only deny a purchase on a criminal conviction but a sheriff can look at the person’s entire criminal history and observe a pattern of conduct when making a decision whether or not to issue a permit. A sheriff has authority to deny a permit to an individual based upon “a lack of moral character”. Your sheriff’s office has more comprehensive knowledge of the people in their jurisdiction through access to information such as calls for service records, criminal intelligence, police reports, the character and reputation of an individual, and mental health records that are not available to the NICS. There are a lot drug addicts and alcoholics with relatively clean records, as well as drug dealers, domestic abusers, and those with mental disorders who qualify under NICS but could be discovered and denied through your local sheriff’s office background check.
Another point to consider is that the NICS check comes back as approved, denied or delayed. If the person is denied there is no reason cited. This means an individual, who may qualify for a permit but because of some computer glitch, will have to file an appeal to a Federal bureaucracy in Washington or someplace else that is not accountable to the local citizenry. If the sheriff’s office denies an individual, upon request we can tell them why and explain the law. If the person disagrees with the denial by a sheriff’s office, they can appeal to the sheriff and request the sheriff review the matter. When a sheriff upholds the denial, a citizen can appeal the sheriff’s decision to a local District Court Judge. The NICS does not offer these avenues of resolution.
The bottom line is that the vast majority of individuals who pass a sheriff’s background check and obtain a permit to purchase or carry a handgun never commit a crime using a handgun. And it is also true that the vast majority of individuals who commit a crime using a handgun could never pass a sheriff’s pistol purchase permit background check.
I certainly agree that some gun purchase law issues need to be addressed and some adjustments need to be made to the current pistol purchase permit law. As a member of the North Carolina Sheriff’s Association’s Legislative Committee, I am working with the North Carolina Legislature to study and address these issues of concern. I want to make certain gun laws do not punish law abiding citizens but do keep guns out of the hands of criminals and others who should not have them.
While the NICS is good I believe it is not good enough. Sheriffs uphold their oath of office to keep you safe by conducting a more thorough and reliable screening of those individuals who want to own or carry a gun. North Carolina Sheriffs should be allowed to continue to carry out their elected responsibilities of keeping you safe by retaining the authority to issue pistol purchase permits.
Sheriff William T. Schatzman

Reactions: what would you say

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Well, FLA has its advantages...and its disadvantages...Too many old people (I am one), "snowbirds", terrible traffic, "lovebugs", humidity, no good barbeque, no mountains, etc. :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
ping 10, while I agree that this law is a definite step in the right direction it does not give anyone the right to "carry" on campuses. It gives you the right to lock a handgun in your vehicle while on school property. Same for CHL holders.I like it because I can now go onto public school property, lock my gun in my truck, and proceed to pick up my grandkids. It does give CHL holders the right to carry in restaurants that serve alcohol and places charging admission as long as they are not posted. The law goes into affect Oct. 1, 2013 as long as the governor signs it which supposedly is a no brainer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.