Colt Forum banner

Lounge is getting a bit dead!

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  fat tom 
#1 ·
OK, in an attempt to stir up a bit of activity (usually the job of our favorite cheerleader rcwambold) let me ask how many of you guys put those beloved Colts to use and in what way?

Mostly target shooting, action shooting, safe queens, field use, CCW, duty, or what? I guess I'll go 1st.

I have carried a number of mine into the forest. Depending on the circumstance I have chosen to take a specific Colt side arm.

When riding dirt bikes (motocross) in the high desert I often carry a small snub like the SFVI or Detective Special. It doesn't get in the way at all. When deer hunting in Mountain Lion country, I have often carried a 6" King Cobra. It serves the dual purpose of being capable of taking a deer when away from camp without a rifle (as in using the $hitter) and can quickly be brought in to service in the unlikely encounter with a big cat. In Bear country I have an Anaconda accompany me, packed with my "anti-bear" load using 300 gr JSP. When deer hunting in areas with out the threat of Bear & Mountain Lion, I often take a Gov't Model to serve the purpose of dispatching the deer that just won't give up after being dropped. Pythons get occasional paper work, as do the Troopers.

I have some of the safe queens too. Not so much that they are too special to shoot, but more that I haven't got around to shooting them. I also have the less practical guns (38 Spec) that spend most of their time being handled rather then shot.
So what about the rest of you? Any one alive out here?

See less See more
#2 ·
I carried my Python for 20 years but in `85 the department issued a Sig and I had to carry it. I still had the Python in the trunk until I retired in `90. Just for grins, I qualified with it when I worked for the courts, but seldom carried it.

I used it as a test gun when I bought a new gun as it was the most accurate gun I had.

In Dec. `03, I bought a 6" Trooper MK3. It actually is more accurate than the Python.
It came as a surprise. The first round was an "X", as were the next two. The last two were in the 10 ring. The Python only gave me 2 "X's" and three 10's. The accuracy of the Trooper was a pleasant surprise.

Although I have a Magnum Carry, I don't carry it because my Smith 649 is more accurate. I don't carry it either because my Smith 340SC is so much lighter.

In my old age, the lighter the gun, the easier it is to carry. The 340, alias "the beast", is not a plinker but it is my "always" gun.

I don't hunt so I don't need the 4" or 6" barrels. The Sig is just a little too big for CCW. The result is that the three large guns spend a lot of time out of sight.

If Colt would make a light weight 6 shot snub, I'd buy one. My Magnum Carry was the first to arrive in Tucson and I bought it the day I saw it. It just never was as accuarte as the 649. I wrote to Colt and expressed dis-satisfaction with it. I was told to send it back & they'd fix it. I sent it, they fixed it, but it's still not as accuarte as that damned Smith 649. It, the Smith, shoots one-hole groups at 15 yards. Is it possible that Smith makes a better revolver than Colt? Have I been wrong since `61 when I bought my first handgun, a Colt Python? (Now, I may be in trouble!!!)

WS23,

Between the two of us, maybe these posts will stir things up.

John

[This message has been edited by JCM298A (edited 02-05-2004).]

#3 ·
I've (almost) never seen an Officers Model revolver I didn't like. I think this comes from my days as a bullseye shooter when an O.M. was the ne plus ultra for centerfire matches ... but I couldn't afford one. I recently picked up one of those single-action-only ones, which is a joy to shoot. If only the darn target hadn't gotten so fuzzy and faraway looking over the years!

Now my shooting is basically at paper targets, sometimes at bowling pins; and I too have a small collection of safe queens. Not that they're museum-pieces; but when I get one in the box with papers and test target, I don't know why, but it's good enough for me to just admire it, clean it, and take it apart every once in a while.

I really enjoy the couple of Shooting Masters I have, and would like to find more, but prices on the rarer calibers are as bad, or worse than, SAAs.

WS23, thanks for starting a topic!

[This message has been edited by Michael Stern (edited 02-05-2004).]

#4 ·
I guess, too many of us lurk in the background, and read what others post, but there ain't been much to read on this forum. Several here, including me, seem to spend most of their keyboard time, over at the S&W forum, which draws a much larger crowd.
To address the original question...Most of my Colt handguns reside in the safe and only see activity during an occasional inspection, oil change, or show and tell. Since I became too old, fat, and lazy, to hunt much, the only Colt hanguns that see any shooting, is a Series 70 38 Super, a 38 spl. OMM, a 3rd series Woodsman, a 45colt New Service, and another Series 70 in 45acp. All for plinking, and paper punching. I get the urge to play with the Shooting Master 38, and a OMM 32long occasionally, but hate to risk much wear and tear, on these two.
For carry, I have to confess to resorting to a 44 spl, model 696, made by that other company.

#5 ·
I've been known to take mine to the range pretty often, and the little DS has seen it's share of pocket time.

------------------
Fore Warned is Fore Armed... Pogo
Unless it's four worned out guns... Albert

#6 ·
Got a 2000 in 9mm, Delta ss in 10, Double Eagle in 10, and my favorite, a Custom Shop Delta in 10. They just lay around looking pretty.

I keep a S&W 411 and 1006 for nitestand and defense, not because I like them better, but because if I ever have to use one I'd have to give it up for the investigation and might not get it back. I'd miss the 1006, but not as much as the Colt 10mms.

#7 ·
Well since my dept. is one of the few in the world that issues 1911's I carry one everyday I work. 6 on 3 off just like clock work. But my most special Colt, a 99% series 70 Gold Cup is nestled in a nice genuine cherry S&W emblem adorned presentation case right next to my most prized Smith a 6.5 inch 4 screw pre mod. 29 with wonderful coke bottle diamond grips. I take the two of them out about once a year and warm them up. Then I clean, relube and tuck them back in.
Good Shooting..coyotegunner

#8 ·
Wish I could honestly say otherwise,but most all of them are safe queens now. I own two WW1 bringback 1911's,a dozen or so Pythons(my favorite is the 3"),an almost complete set of Diamondbacks(missing the 2" nickel and blue in .22 mainly because I've never seen either),a 6" Trooper M111 nickel .22 with interchangable .22 mag cylinder(ONLY one I've ever seen), a Series 70 govt. model NIB, two post war commercial .38 Supers(two more just waiting for me to come up with the cash), assorted older model .22's(both auto and revolvers)but no SAA's(too old and poor to start now).
Glad to see a new post or two here since I also spend most of my time at the S&W Forum(I've got a bunch of those) because there is more happening over there.
Anyway,thanks for the post!
f.t.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.