Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear/read many threads on various forums about the use of Mobil 1 as a lubricant. My normal routine after cleaning is to hose down the entire BCG with CLP and reinstall. Easy enough with the aerosol product. But this technique doesn't seem to last very long, especially if my rifle is stored for a month or so before being shot again.
I'd like to know the technique everyone uses for lubing with a can of motor oil and also what weight Mobil 1 should be used. Is it possible to use too much, or in the wrong place? Advice welcomed, thanks.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Most people I have read use 30 weight Mobil 1 or higher. Hard to put too much on but don't go crazy would be my advice.

Here's a video that shows how to use grease. I think his advice is good IMHO.

You would do basically the same thing with Mobil 1. You might buy one quart of 10-30 weight and one of 10-40 weight to find out which works best. Some guys even use thicker stuff like 20-50 weight (not sure about the thicker weight numbers but you get what I mean).

AR 15 Lubrication - YouTube

·
Registered
46 Posts
Being retired from the lubrication industry, for what it's worth, here's what I do.
Clean with Hoppes #9
Mobil 1 5W30 drops, applied sparingly with a muscular syringe on moving parts.
Mobil 1 grease, applied sparingly on sliding parts with a small artist paint brush.
One quart of oil and one tube of grease will last most for a lifetime.
Anyway, that's what has worked for me for years.
C&S has a excellent brochure on revolver lubrication without disassembly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts