Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first Colt SAA with a manfacture date of 1882. It's an etched panel with wood grips and matching numbers except for the loading gate. I paid the outrageous fee to Colt for the factory letter and found out it was shipped on May 1, 1882 to Hartley and Graham. Does anyone know if their records are available? I also got an 1894 Winchester 25/35 made in 1903 and a Sharps Meachan conversion in the same buy. I cannot find any info on the Meachan conversion except they were made in the 1870's from left over Civil War carbine actions. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Great find! I'd cherish the experience of latching on to a SAA like that.

I once had a Smith & Wesson topbreak DA .38 that was shipped to Hartley and Graham in 1882 as well. I think they are long gone now but they apparently were a large distributor of firearms in the later 19th century.

Could you provide any photos of your find? What cartridge does your SAA chamber?

Welcome to the Forum! Nice first post to give news of a SAA find.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Welcome, Great find. I called the Colt Historian about the loading gate #, and she said it will not match the serial # as it refers to a lot # of some kind. I am the keeper of an 1890 .41 SAA. Shot it until recently when I retired her after 116 years of wonderful use. I just wish it could tell me where it was in those early years. Mine was shipped to Montgomery Wards in Chicago. Can you imagine Chicago in 1890! Again congratulations and any time you want to talk SAA's let me know. The DA guys are very populous on the Forum. I try to tolerate them. Rick /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
"116 years of wonderful use".

bisley06, your're a little older than I thought.

You have more discipline than I do. I'd shoot it on occasion. I still enjoy holstering up my 1905 vintage .38-40 and wandering on the old family place. Great fun to bust cans, rocks, cactus, mesquite tree trunks.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I think the gun is that old, not me! I'm just assuming they were wonderful years. Maybe a "bad guy" owned it. I'd shoot the SAA too, but I'm afraid something will break and I'd have to replace it. And at over $50 a box for a box of .41 blackpowder shells, it's a bit cost prohibitive. Now I just "play" like I'm shooting it. Alot less expensive but not as much fun. Rick

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
I'm guessing that Bob has a 'Frontier Six Shooter' since he mentioned an acid etched panel. If that is the case it would be chambered in .44-40.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, it's a 44-40. I don't have pictures but the gun has most all of the finish worn off and only traces of the etching. It came from a family who lived in Yuma before moving to eastern Oregon. The gun has much holster wear, but I like !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts