Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you shoot a Luger, the most useful accessory/tool you can have. The Luger magazines have a virtually non-existent magazine button, and sharp edged to boot. The tool hooks over the button on the magazine, and your thumb fits on the turned out piece to pull the follower down. The hole in the center consists of two holes, one drilled all the way through, and the other drilled almost all the way through leaving a lip to catch the magazine button.

The screwdriver could be used to remove the stock screws, or disassemble the firing pin assembly.

They were issued with the same acceptance mark as the military Luger, but DWM was very lax in marking theirs.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Daggone, that's a lot of tools (and $$) on the table!

You also need one to fill out a complete rig too even if you don't shoot...
I was fortunate to get an E/135 tool with a recent byf/42 "Black Widow" rig acquisition - I didn't realize how expensive they were :)
(some much more than others).
Are the grooves machined in the back supposed to ride along the ridge in the magazine?
As you might guess I don't know much about Lugers, and it doesn't fit all that great on the late fxo mags that came with the rig.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you shoot a Luger, the most useful accessory/tool you can have. The Luger magazines have a virtually non-existent magazine button, and sharp edged to boot. The tool hooks over the button on the magazine, and your thumb fits on the turned out piece to pull the follower down. The hole in the center consists of two holes, one drilled all the way through, and the other drilled almost all the way through leaving a lip to catch the magazine button.

The screwdriver could be used to remove the stock screws, or disassemble the firing pin assembly.

They were issued with the same acceptance mark as the military Luger, but DWM was very lax in marking theirs.

I have a matching numbers (except for the mags) 1939 Luger my Dad brought back from France following WWII. I think I understand your explanation but a photo of one in place on a mag would be greatly appreciated!!!

Reactions: sublimert70

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I believe this is the way it should work, but as you can see mine doesn't quite fit right, the lip inside the tool isn't properly engaging the button and it slips off.
Not that I'll ever load or shoot this one, but still...

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Daggone, that's a lot of tools (and $$) on the table!

You also need one to fill out a complete rig too even if you don't shoot...
I was fortunate to get an E/135 tool with a recent byf/42 "Black Widow" rig acquisition - I didn't realize how expensive they were :)
(some much more than others).
Are the grooves machined in the back supposed to ride along the ridge in the magazine?
As you might guess I don't know much about Lugers, and it doesn't fit all that great on the late fxo mags that came with the rig.

View attachment 711066

View attachment 711067
The E/135 tool is a hard one to find, and lucky to get it.

Yes, the grooves in the back of the tool ride on the ridge in the magazine, keeping the tool from moving from side to side.

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A little history on the "Black Widow" P.08. The black bakelite grips and magazine bottom were an approved substitute if wood grips were not available. Collectors didn't like the black substitutes, and the pistols did not sell well. The late Luger dealer Ralph Shattuck came up with the "Black Widow" name, and sales of the P.08 with black bakelite grips took off.

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
I had a Luger many years ago. Wish I had known about the tool. A shooting buddy got frustrated trying to load and broke the spring.
I traded the Luger for a Winchester.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Under the new and improved forum I don't have a clue as to where the PM's are.

Johnny, look at the top of the page when you sign in to coltforum and you will see a black heading bar. On the left it says ColtForum followed by "search community". At the far right you will see your avatar/picture. Click on that and you will see a list of several topics, one of which is "Conversations". If you click on that you will see my PM along with any others you have received. Good luck and hope to hear from you

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
As many Lugers I have seen with their holster, few loading tools are present. It must have been easy to lose or it did not function well.

Reactions: Recusant

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I appreciate the tip on using the loading tool. I have one and a Luger but never put two and two together.
Don't feel alone...I din't realize it either.
I had to pull my Luger and loading tool out of the safe and try it.

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can't tell for sure what the marking is under the eagle. Several looked similar.

Probably my favorite tool, a Weimar Navy tool.

Also, on this tool you can see how the hole was milled out leaving a lip to catch over the magazine button for loading.

·
Registered
301 Posts
As many Lugers I have seen with their holster, few loading tools are present. It must have been easy to lose or it did not function well.
In recent years most dealers sell the holster and loading tool separately should they come across a complete rig.

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In recent years most dealers sell the holster and loading tool separately should they come across a complete rig.
The dealers usually separate the tool and the holster, as the tool normally had the same acceptance mark as the Luger, and someone buying a holster for their Luger would also want the correct tool. DWM was not good about putting the acceptance mark on their tools, but the others were.

The original tools work very good, but some of the repros/fakes don't work as the hole for the mag button is not machined properly.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts